Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
rivermiles.com Missouri American WaterMissouri River Relief Alpine Shop St. James WineryPfefferkorn Engineering & Environmentalladsurfski.com Olathe Ford Lincoln Mercuryprojectathena.orgFarmer's Insurancehealthyriverspartnership.comLewis and Clark Boathouse and Nature Center2013 Stickers
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 
Send Topic Print
Frequently Asked Questions (Read 148897 times)
Reply #180 - 01/25/16 at 14:03:09

Scott Mansker   Offline
Race Staff
12X MR340 Safety Boat Pilot

I believe these are still for sale via the PBS website www.rivermiles.org from the old TV show.  River Relief fulfills these orders and all money goes to them. 

Kind of hard to find on there but if you click "Own Season One" you will also find all the documentaries and paddle dvds.

IP Logged

Reply #181 - 01/25/16 at 16:38:01

Ozark paddler   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
Independence Missouri

Ok , I see that now, those are hard to find! Thanks.

John

IP Logged

Reply #182 - 01/26/16 at 09:44:24

Steve W   Offline
MR340 Veteran
Ground Crew Veteran

Found them! Thanks, Scott.

IP Logged

Reply #183 - 06/24/16 at 17:01:10

utahphil   Offline
Future Participant

Hello.

We are attempting the 340 without a ground crew. Is there a definitive list of where water will be available for fill or purchase.

With each gallon of water weighing 8.36 we are trying to decide whether we need to enlist some outside help.

Thank you and see you all soon!

IP Logged

Reply #184 - 06/24/16 at 22:54:19

Scott Mansker   Offline
Race Staff

Lexington is usually staffed by a local high school team selling water and gatorade and food.  I am told they will be back!  They love you guys.

Waverly has a boy scout troop pulling this duty.  There is also a bathroom with running water at the top of the hill.  NOTE there are two ramps at Waverly.  The upstream ramp is the one with services.  Any team without ground crew should stop there.  The downstream ramp is perfect for teams with ground crew that need a quick a stop.  Check google maps of Waverly to see the two ramps.  You can't really walk between them.  It's a fair drive around the highway bridge.  But short by boat.

Miami has a very impressive full service food tent serving burgers, pancakes, sausage, orange juice, etc.  All night long and into day 2 up until about 11am when the checkpoint closes. 

Glasgow has water spigots in the park and also usually some food vendors.  But worst case it's about half a mile walk to the grocery store assuming business hours. 

Katfish Katy's will have a food truck and water available.

Cooper's Landing, not far downstream from Katfish Katy's is not an official checkpoint but has a small convenience store and a food truck open most of the day and night.

Jefferson City has a Missouri American Water water station and has Chik Fil A sandwiches most hours.

Hermann has a nice boy scout tent cooking food night and day and running water in the public restrooms nearby.  Also real live food establishments a short walk into town.

Klondike, the final checkpoint, doesn't have much but Mark Handley is the camp host and brings in the water, gatorade and simple snacks for sale.

And then you finish!

Don't hesitate to ask a safety boat parked at the checkpoint for anything you are lacking.  They will share their water with you.  Also, don't be shy about telling the other paddlers in your halo that you are unsupported.  Their ground crews will definitely be willing to pick up anything you need and have it for you at the next checkpoint.  You tend to be stuck with the same people, for better or worse, after day 1.  So their ground crews will be there at every checkpoint and can easily add items to their list if you request things. 

It always works out!

Scott

IP Logged

Reply #185 - 06/27/16 at 13:11:26

utahphil   Offline
Future Participant

Absolutely beautiful.
Thank you!

IP Logged

Reply #186 - 07/11/16 at 15:13:57

JohnK   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran

I'm a little confused.  Can someone explain the difference between Raceowl, Propaddler and Checkpoint Tracker.  Do I need all of them?

IP Logged

Reply #187 - 07/11/16 at 15:34:03

RugbyDoc   Offline
4X MR340 Veteran
St. Charles, MO

JohnK-

Did you miss the response Hogan provided to you for this question?  Here's a link:

http://www.rivermiles.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1465440417/40

You know you are a kayaker when you can't go over a bridge without looking for water under it.
IP Logged

Reply #188 - 07/12/16 at 11:13:53

JohnK   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran

Yes I did miss it.  Thanks.  Do I need a Spot Tracker unit to use Raceowl or just my Iphone?

IP Logged

Reply #189 - 07/12/16 at 11:16:53

Stiffy   Offline
MR340 Veteran

A spot is not required to use Raceowl.

IP Logged

Reply #190 - 08/03/16 at 10:57:54

Riparian Scallywag   Offline
MR340 Veteran

We weren't able to attend the awards ceremony, and missed the line in the dispatches about visiting the race HQ motor home to pick up your medal early.  Is there any way for us to still acquire finisher medals?

IP Logged

Reply #191 - 08/04/16 at 12:44:41

Scott Mansker   Offline
Race Staff

email jscottmansker@gmail.com and we will get it done.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 
Send Topic Print