Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
rivermiles.com Missouri American WaterMissouri River Relief Alpine Shop St. James WineryPfefferkorn Engineering & Environmentalladsurfski.com Olathe Ford Lincoln Mercuryprojectathena.orgFarmer's Insurancehealthyriverspartnership.comLewis and Clark Boathouse and Nature Center2013 Stickers
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 
Send Topic Print
Frequently Asked Questions (Read 148899 times)
Reply #160 - 07/14/13 at 09:15:47

kharmon   Offline
MR340 Veteran

Kris Harmon
Boat - 0708

glId=0XEU5QImpcQGkt9ryyAzEd9P33QVbeGNM

IP Logged

Reply #161 - 07/21/13 at 18:42:02

Captain Jake   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran

Jacob Nist
Boat#: 6942
glId=0Bdp9ajmxC03b9R3rEVfjpCF6NnUKxq2P

Thanks a bunch.

IP Logged

Reply #162 - 07/21/13 at 23:21:44

jeff.ilseman   Offline
MR340 Veteran
Barnhart, MO

all boats that posted their SPOTID has been uploaded.

Race Results can be tracked at www.raceowl.com

IP Logged

Reply #163 - 07/22/13 at 09:44:18

rlphillips5   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran

Randy Phillips
Boat# 4200

Corri Phillips
Boat# 8911

IP Logged

Reply #164 - 07/25/13 at 17:13:35

Aquamamma   Offline
5X Ground Crew Veteran

Will there be merch at the party tomorrow?

Have fun!
IP Logged

Reply #165 - 07/25/13 at 19:22:05

Barbara   Offline
10X Race Volunteer
Groves, Texas

I'm pretty sure...

IP Logged

Reply #166 - 11/06/14 at 08:08:14

Jaybee   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Knoxville, TN

Resurrecting an old, old thread but moving on to Mr340 - 2015.

I am assuming that we are going to have a record number of voucher carry-overs due to the 2014 delay to August.  Wondering just how fast the roster will fill to capacity?

In that vein, two questions:

1.  Does registration open at 12:01 am on 1/1/15?

2.  What is the payment method when you register?  Specifically, are credit cards acceptable or is it paypal only?

Jim
Boat # 3489
IP Logged

Reply #167 - 11/09/14 at 06:50:34

Scott Mansker   Offline
Race Staff
12X MR340 Safety Boat Pilot

Roster will likely be about half full... or half empty... at midnight 1/1 when registration opens. 

Registration for voucher holders will start 12/1.

Paypal is the method but there is an option to just use a credit card on paypal.  They make it a little hard to notice because they would prefer you create an account.  But under their login there is text that says something like, "don't have an account, click here to pay with credit card"  I'd say most people pay that way.

IP Logged

Reply #168 - 03/01/15 at 10:21:11

Jaybee   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Knoxville, TN

A list of total newbie questions - aided by two weeks of snow & ice giving more time to surf the internet for any missing MR340 information.  But, I would be interested in knowing:

History -

(1) I've seen a few news references to one of the high-water years rescheduling the MR340 to a shorter race on the Kaw only.  Yet, there doesn't seem to be any year that it wasn't run on the typical 340 mile route.  Did that odd year out ever happen, or was that the year it got moved to October?

Rules -

(2) Wave surfing?  For those hulls that are suitable for surfing are there any rules about riding the wake of a downstream tug or powerboat?  I know this is fairly obscure but don't want to be considered a cheater or in bad form if it did happen.

(3) Finish line?  This may sound stupid after a 340 mile race, but what is the actual finish line - the place where the clock stops.  Touching land at St. Charles or something else?

Misc -

(4) I know it's been talked about, but is there any informal signal to use if you are just stopped on the bank for some rest and don't want every single racer passing by to check if you are OK?  A green flag draped over one end of the boat or something like that?

(5) Is there any standard light pattern used for moored barges or dredges?  Basically, what to look for there?

(6) What's the deal with Porta-Johns on pontoon boats? I've seen a few pics of this.  Many of them?  At checkpoints or elsewhere?  Is there a fee to use them?   Is this a number one option when you need to number two?

Thanks for any insight.  I am hoping the rain holds off enough today to grab at least a couple of hours on the river and cut down on my internet surfing time.

Jim
Boat # 3489
IP Logged

Reply #169 - 03/01/15 at 13:36:01

Scott Mansker   Offline
Race Staff

Race has been run every year.  The Kaw race happened during year where we knew several weeks in advance that the river would be in sustained flood.  Many already had vacations built around racing that week.  So race was held that week and then again later in October when the river calmed down.

Riding the wake of any motorized boat is against the rules.  Riding the wake of a fellow (competitor) paddler is 100% fine. 

Finish line is at the Lewis and Clark Boathouse in St. Charles.  Tough to miss during the race.

There are toilets at each checkpoint.  And some at other non-checkpoints.  Usually these are on land.  And no charge. 

Barges and sand dredges moored at night are supposed to have bright, white lights visible from all directions.  "Bright" seems to be open to some interpretation.  Many are not well lit.  If unsure of what's ahead, a paddler should stop until confirmed.

There is currently no official signal for "I'm sleeping."  Instance of being constantly bothered by paddlers or safety boats are rare.   

IP Logged

Reply #170 - 03/01/15 at 21:17:41

Jaybee   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Knoxville, TN

Thanks.

Jim
Boat # 3489
IP Logged

Reply #171 - 03/02/15 at 08:56:25

Dan_VS_Wild   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
GO OUTSIDE. DO COOL STUFF.

Jaybee wrote on 03/01/15 at 10:21:11:
(4) I know it's been talked about, but is there any informal signal to use if you are just stopped on the bank for some rest and don't want every single racer passing by to check if you are OK? A green flag draped over one end of the boat or something like that?

Yes, there are standard paddling hand signals to communicate that are widely accepted.

I found this on google, it describes them pretty well

http://lp.sierraclub.org/lpp/RiverSignals.html

Are You Okay?

To ask if someone is okay take one arm and point to the person you are asking about. At the same time pat the top of your head with the other hand. This is asking the question, "Are you OK?". If the person being asked is okay they should respond by patting the top of their head with their hand; this means, "I'm OK". Any other response, waving their arms, or a no response as taken to mean that the person is not okay.

That only works if youre awake though lol

Why can't you trust a tree? Cause they're shady, man.
IP Logged

Reply #172 - 03/26/15 at 18:40:37

postalpaddler   Offline
6X MR340 Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran
patience patience patience
overland park,ks.

I know that noone wants to think about this but... what is the dates of a possibly postponed Mr340 this year.
Would it be August 25th -28th with safety meeting on the 24th?

IP Logged

Reply #173 - 06/12/15 at 13:46:47

charles.nadia96   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran

Charles Goodson
Boat #1996
Spot ID# coming soon
« Last Edit: 06/15/15 at 01:29:54 by charles.nadia96 »  
IP Logged

Reply #175 - 06/29/15 at 16:39:36

Yoven   Offline
Future Participant
Socially Awkward
Ballwin, Mo

Greetings,
How does everything work at the checkpoints as far as actually checking in?
Thanks.

IP Logged

Reply #176 - 06/29/15 at 17:53:00

Barbara   Offline
10X Race Volunteer
Groves, Texas

We work on a Text In basis.  You or your team captain text your time in/out with the check point name and boat number.  This is be covered at the safety meeting, in  detail.

Barbara

IP Logged

Reply #177 - 07/01/15 at 15:37:09

markfingerhut   Offline
Future Participant

Hello, I've done the 340 in 2010 an 2011 but that was in the low tech days. I am ignorant when it comes to 'spot tracker' requirements or other GPS options during the race.

- Are we required to have some kind of tracking device turned on during the race?
- Will a smart phone with GPS suffice?
- If so, do I need a specific app or service so race management can track us?

It's entirely possible I missed a post on this topic somewhere along the line, so if that's the case, I'd love to be directed to where that info is. Thanks!

IP Logged

Reply #178 - 07/01/15 at 21:07:32

Jaybee   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Knoxville, TN

I'm sure all these questions will soon be covered in upcoming dispatches and/or in the safety meeting.  But in the meantime, you can wander through the 2014 dispatch thread as most of the info will be the same or similar.

http://www.rivermiles.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1395290131

Jim
Boat # 3489
IP Logged

Reply #179 - 07/01/15 at 22:55:35

Scott Mansker   Offline
Race Staff

Spot tracker is not required.  Racers or their ground crews text in at checkpoints using any phone.  If you have a smart phone there is an app available for download that simplifies the text in process.  Google play store search MR340.  Same with Apple. 

Texts are processed by Raceowl.com and our volunteers.  RAceowl then figures your average speed and actually places you in an estimated position on a map which fans of the race can follow along and root for you.  Very cool.

The text in number will be given out at the safety meeting and also printed on the safety card you're required to carry.  These will be handed out at registration.

Awaiting final word from the Raceowl folks on details of the new raceowl system.  This info will be in the next dispatch.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 
Send Topic Print