Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
rivermiles.com Missouri American WaterMissouri River Relief Alpine Shop Llama RacksPfefferkorn Engineering & Environmentalladsurfski.com paddlestop.comOlathe Ford Lincoln Mercuryprojectathena.orgFarmer's Insurancehealthyriverspartnership.comLewis and Clark Boathouse and Nature CenterSome Beach Outfitters
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Lisbon Bottom at flood stage (Read 8800 times)
11/07/10 at 20:07:32

JoshS   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
3X Gritty Veteran
2X MR340 Safety Boat Pilot
Forum Moderator
Kawnivore Veteran

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 11/08/10 at 22:05:01

awaller   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
Kawlloween Veteran
Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran

Wow, off to the left of the normal opening looks like a pretty bumpy ride.  I'll bet that sounded like Niagara falls!

Sweet pic

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 11/30/10 at 14:20:34

rivertrash   Offline
10X MR340 Safety Boat Pilot
Kawnivore Safety Boat Pilot
Race Volunteer
Whoop Up, MO

I found that photo on the web. It's taken by Steve Hillebrand of the US Fish and Wildlife Service and is a "public domain" photo. Here's a link to the cool site where it's posted (other than the link Josh gave, which is the River Relief flickr page) http://www.fws.gov/digitalmedia/index.php all photos and audio/video clips there are public domain.

That photo is taken from the downstream end of the new Jameson Island chute. You are looking upstream, essentially north. Lisbon Chute is the one that cuts off the next bend upstream (on your right looking upstream).

Jameson Chute was started by Corps of Engineers contractors, but work was shut down due to protests from farmers across the river and the Clean Water Commission who thought it was unfair and maybe dangerous for the Corps to add sediment to the river. A big political boondoggle, really. Well, nature finished the job with the high water last year and especially this year. (Here's a link to a Columbia Missourian article about the chute: http://www.columbiamissourian.com/stories/2010/11/01/jameson-island-habitat-comp...

Right now, the chute at high water is taking more than 10 percent of the river's flow, which makes the Corps nervous. They are undoubtedly going to place some kind of control structure at the head of the chute to keep it from taking more of the main channel flow. Nobody is sure of the plan yet or when it will happen, but now is the time to paddle through there while there is no structure. It's a very cool place, and a great example of how the river can create its own meanders and varied habitat with a little help from engineers and river managers.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 12/21/10 at 07:54:30

charles.nadia96   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran

This will be my first race and want to know! Should you try the cut through at Lisbon Bottoms? The picture looks like its a good choice. The MR340 video says its bad choice. Any Help, Thanks

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 12/21/10 at 08:05:57
Scott   Ex Member

Not worth the trouble.  Never has panned out for anyone. 

Glasgow Fire Department had to rescue a team off the head of Lisbon this past year.  Boat was utterly destroyed.  Probably still there.

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 12/21/10 at 09:53:50

rivertrash   Offline
Race Volunteer
Whoop Up, MO

Charles/Nadia -
Most prominent in that photo is Jameson Chute, not Lisbon. Lisbon Chute in the photo is near the top. The head of Jameson Chute is just downstream and across the river from the mouth of Lisbon Chute.

Here's a news story about Jameson Chute: http://www.columbiamissourian.com/stories/2010/11/01/jameson-island-habitat-comp...

At this time there is no closing structure on Jameson Chute, but the Corps is contemplating building one. It's the closing structure at the head of Lisbon Chute that creates the dangerous waterfall and wierd water. I'm curious...has anyone paddled through Jameson Chute this year? The high water this year is what really blew out the chute.

IP Logged

Reply #7 - 12/21/10 at 12:16:42

JoshS   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
3X Gritty Veteran
2X MR340 Safety Boat Pilot
Forum Moderator
Kawnivore Veteran

I saw the chute during the 340 and was a bit perplexed of what I was seeing as I had studied google earth extensively and didn't remember seeing something carring that much water.  We didn't go down it.

IP Logged

Reply #8 - 12/21/10 at 13:14:24

West Hansen   Offline
7X MR340 Veteran
2X MR340 Record Holder
3X Gritty Veteran
Kawnivore Record Holder
Kawnivore Veteran
Gritty Fitty Record Holder
He who hesitates is lunch.
--Chuck Darwin
Austin, Texas, Third Coast

We didn't go down Jameson chute, however we ordered an ACME detour sign and sent Los Humongous down that direction. It worked. --West

Cognitive Dissonance: when being wrong just isn't an option.
IP Logged

Reply #9 - 12/21/10 at 18:50:02
Osprey   Ex Member

As Scott mentioned, there are those who have tried during the race and have regretted the decision.

There are those who have gone through it in non-race situations and were swamped out.  If you have good moving water skills, I hear it's navigable.  It's not something I would try.  Besides, I believe the faster racing line is in the channel.  Besides, I think if you're doing this in the race and you're assuming to be toward the front of the pack, I believe that timing puts you there at night.

Chuck, what time were you heading through there when you broke your rib?

Dan

IP Logged

Reply #10 - 12/21/10 at 21:18:48

rivertrash   Offline
Race Volunteer
Whoop Up, MO

Josh,
the reason it wasn't on Google Earth is because it's new. Contractors for the Corps of Engineers built the chute but didn't finish it. The Missouri Clean Water Commission stopped the project, because the contractors were dumping some of the excavated soil into the river. Despite the fact that a lack of sediment in the river (trapped by dams upstream) is causing problems in the Missouri and even the delta of the Mississippi in the Gulf of Mexico.

But the high water of 2009 and 2010 finished the job. It's a new chute, downstream of the Lisbon Chute and on the opposite side of the river. Because the chute is threatening to take more of the river flow than the Corps is comfortable with (to maintain a barge navigation channel on an already difficult to navigate bend of the river) they will probably create some kind of closing structure.

Hopefully it's not as extreme as the Lisbon structure and will allow safe passage by boats, canoes and kayaks.

IP Logged

Reply #11 - 12/22/10 at 11:14:10

Joewildlife   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Ground Crew Veteran
Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran
Jackson MO

I just looked at the satellite view of the area on Google Maps (search google maps for glasgow MO and look downstream, satellite view).  On that view, there is water in the Lisbon chute but none in Jameson...but you can see the meander appears to already have been excavated out.  The meander matches the picture showing it full of water.

I think I recall seeing the entrance of the Jameson chute but it didn't have water going into it, just looked pretty roughed up with a lot of dead trees and debris in the high flow channel.

Approaching Lisbon, stay on the right descending bank, especially when you see what looks like an old oil derrick on the bank.  Near the downstream end, you will encounter a lot of confused water and a LOOOONNNNGGGG wing dike coming off the right decending bank, so paddle hard left.  That is all there is to it.  You will blow right past the entrance of Jameson chute for sure.

I stopped for some zzzz's in Glasgow and navigated Lisbon Bottoms first thing in the morning the second day of the race.
Joe

And I ain't too old to hurry
Cause I ain't too old to die
But I sure am hard to beat
Ride on
AC/DC, Ride On
IP Logged

Reply #12 - 12/22/10 at 13:05:37

Cwolfe   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
Duluth, MN

Jameson chute?  Is that the channelmto then west at the the bottom (south)! Of Lisbon bottoms?

Cwolfe

IP Logged

Reply #13 - 12/22/10 at 19:51:33

Joewildlife   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Ground Crew Veteran
Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran
Jackson MO

yep.  the narrow curvey channel in the pic, linked to in the first post.

And I ain't too old to hurry
Cause I ain't too old to die
But I sure am hard to beat
Ride on
AC/DC, Ride On
IP Logged

Reply #14 - 12/23/10 at 20:28:20

chuck and di   Offline
13X MR340 Veteran
Kawlloween Veteran
MR340 Record Holder
5X Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawnivore Record Holder
Kawnivore Veteran
Gritty Fitty Record Holder

At low water, maybe 40,k cfs, there is a drop in there of about 8 feet at a 45 degree angle and lots of man made pointy rocks. I went through there at about 2 am or soon after. I took on water and so stopped on a river bank to empty my boat, when I lifted it up, the bank got slick, my feet went out from under me, and the boat came down edge on my left side, breaking a rib. So- it was my numb-nuttedness that caused the problem not the chute.
That said- at 40k the chute turns into a meandering mess with several "guesses" which way to go. At some points you will even drag bottom.
Di and I have done the chute many times at many levels- sometimes we split and one goes right and one goes left.
     It is definitely shorter going through the chute mile-wise, saving maybe 0.8 miles (as I remember- Di says 0.5 mile) The reason we have not bothered to remember specifics is because we have never found an advantage to going through the chute! So for us- it's a done deal- no chute.
     Also Bear in mind that the main channel has some of the fastest water you are going to find anywhere on the river- I do remember this- because it goes 5-6 mph at high water. It's cool to look down at your GPS and see it reading 12 mph!

If you find yourself suddenly smack dab in the middle of hell, stopping is not an option.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print