Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
rivermiles.com Missouri American WaterMissouri River Relief Alpine Shop Llama RacksPfefferkorn Engineering & Environmentalladsurfski.com paddlestop.comOlathe Ford Lincoln Mercuryprojectathena.orgFarmer's Insurancehealthyriverspartnership.comLewis and Clark Boathouse and Nature CenterSome Beach Outfitters
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Jensen Race Canoe up for Auction (Read 39314 times)
10/05/10 at 11:21:16

Melanie   Offline
8X MR340 Safety Boat Pilot
2X Ground Crew Veteran

To Benefit Missouri River Relief

Donated by Missouri American Water

Boat Specs:
Year:  2010
Model:  Jensen V1-A Mixer
Length:  18’6”
Weight:  29 lbs
USCA Marathon Kevlar,® Ultra-light Core
New:  $2799 + tax!

The Story:
Missouri American Water purchased this sleek racing Jensen Canoe for the 2010 MR340 race, dubbing it “Dig Deep I”.  Team Owens & Treece #3070 finished their 340 mile journey in 63 hours and 48 minutes in it!  After the race, the canoe was donated to Missouri River Relief to do with as we wished.  Well, we’re not really racers, more like floaters…  Wink and these are highly-specialized crafts that are only suitable for experienced paddlers.  

So we’ve decided to auction this boat off to the most interested audience we can imagine: the Missouri River 340 Race Forum!

Missouri River Relief is a non-profit organization that brings people together on the Missouri River through hands-on river clean-ups, education and restoration activities.  So all proceeds will go to help us with our mission!

A Few Notes:  This canoe was used only once for the sole purpose of completing the 2010 MR340 race, so it has your normal wear & tear scuffs, mostly on the tips of the boat where it was pulled in & out.  It has a hard-foam insert in the bow for navigation lights and some light scratches on the bottom that appear easily fixable.  The canoe currently lives in Columbia, MO and there is a manufacturer’s statement of origin with it.  No paddles were included, but we may have to sweeten the deal with more accessories if that’s what it comes down to Wink.

View More Photos of this canoe here!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8478409@N03/sets/72157624716859597/with/4942272550/

Starting Bid:  $999
Folks may reply to this thread with their bids and must bid at least $1.00 over the
previous bid.   

Auction ends at 11:59 p.m. on January 1st (Central Time), one day after MR340 2011 registration opens. Winner will be determined by the time and date posted on your forum post bid. In other words, if your post says "1/1/11 at 23:59:10", you will be 10 seconds late! (the forum posts in military time)

Canoe will be available for pickup in Columbia, MO, to the auction winner. Missouri River Relief will contact winner after auction closes to arrange for pickup.

Buy It Now option:  $2,200, just reply to this thread with your request and contact info.!

Purchasing this canoe will help Missouri River Relief in its mission to engage communities cleaning up the Missouri River. 2011 is our 10th anniversary!!!! Help us start out with some river rat cash in the bank!

If you have questions, contact Steve Schnarr at steve(at)riverrelief.org or 573.289.2077
« Last Edit: 12/14/10 at 12:08:46 by N/A »  

P1080190.JPG (1974 KB | )
P1080190.JPG
IP Logged

Reply #1 - 10/05/10 at 11:26:59
Scott   Ex Member

I'll bid $999.00

Scott Mansker

This is not the boat you're looking for...

ben_kenobi.jpg (8 KB | )
ben_kenobi.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #2 - 10/05/10 at 11:34:43

brwa175   Offline
5X MR340 Veteran
3X Gritty Veteran
Race Volunteer
Reality is overrated.

raise you a dollar

However, truth is a reasonable substitute.
IP Logged

Reply #3 - 10/05/10 at 11:50:12
Scott   Ex Member

I'll see your 1000.00 and raise you.

Scott=1001.00

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 10/05/10 at 12:11:51

chuck and di   Offline
13X MR340 Veteran
Kawlloween Veteran
MR340 Record Holder
5X Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawnivore Record Holder
Kawnivore Veteran
Gritty Fitty Record Holder

Can anybody comment on the stability of this boat? Maybe compare it to a QCC700, or any of the west side boats?
Are their donation/tax implications?
Oh, and I'll go $1010. This looks like something Charles and I could paddle (135 years of experience?)

If you find yourself suddenly smack dab in the middle of hell, stopping is not an option.
IP Logged

Reply #5 - 10/05/10 at 12:58:41

cdoggett   Offline
8X MR340 Veteran
2X Kawlloween Veteran
3X Gritty Veteran
Katy 50 Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran
Saint Louis

$1050$

Colin
(Yes, I know how to paddle a canoe.)

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 10/05/10 at 13:34:34

jfawcett   Offline
MR340 Veteran
St. Peters

$1075

james

IP Logged

Reply #7 - 10/05/10 at 15:33:13

Vicki   Offline
10X MR340 Safety Boat Pilot
Ground Crew Veteran

it's a sweet ride folks!
AND supports a great cause!

We could be convinced to tote her to St. Joseph on Oct. 16- IF 50 paddlers promise to show up and clean the river!

IP Logged

Reply #8 - 10/05/10 at 15:48:18

Los Humungos   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Sometimes wears a Wally
Werderich costume

It is OK mi kayak amigos...

Give yourself to the Dark Side... 

« Last Edit: 10/06/10 at 12:55:29 by Los Humungos »  

Sometimes when you are man, you wear stretchy pants...its for fun... -Nacho   
You do not get guns like these from riding a bike. -Matt Strieb
IP Logged

Reply #9 - 10/05/10 at 16:38:31

yankeeclipper   Offline
MR340 Veteran
4X Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawlloween Veteran
2X Ground Crew Veteran
Katy 50 Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran

This is similar to my strip for those who have seen it and the cruiser Kaufman and Slebos have used. Stabil and quick but not as fast as a pro boat or a racing kayak. Ment to be paddled with singles. I understand there is a chemical in the resin that releases upon detection of double blade paddles and will cause madness  Wink
Chuck and Di-135 years of experience? Who's the oldest?

IP Logged

Reply #10 - 10/06/10 at 08:13:05

chuck and di   Offline
13X MR340 Veteran
Kawlloween Veteran
MR340 Record Holder
5X Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawnivore Record Holder
Kawnivore Veteran

Hey! Don't get me in trouble! I said "Charles" and I. 75 and 60.- Chuck
(Di is 39.......) Roll Eyes

If you find yourself suddenly smack dab in the middle of hell, stopping is not an option.
IP Logged

Reply #11 - 10/06/10 at 08:28:23
Scott   Ex Member

$1076.00

IP Logged

Reply #12 - 10/06/10 at 09:29:05

Melanie   Offline
8X MR340 Safety Boat Pilot
2X Ground Crew Veteran

I just checked with our accountant, since we are a non-profit, there are no taxes, however since you would be receiving a sweet & fancy boat in exchange for your bid, it cannot be used as a tax write off.

IP Logged

Reply #13 - 10/06/10 at 12:02:17

chuck and di   Offline
13X MR340 Veteran
Kawlloween Veteran
MR340 Record Holder
5X Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawnivore Record Holder
Kawnivore Veteran

I have been in a canoe a few times when I had no other alternative- and it's not too bad. Certainly as I get older with the possibility of senile dementia setting in (some say I already have it), the old adage "Half the paddle, half the brain" makes me think I may want to actually voluntarily get IN a canoe in the future (as a last ditch resort).
Also getting reports from my canoeing buddies who are still lucid enough to trust their opinion, that this is a really crummy boat and the rest of you guys should stop bidding...
$1,100.

IP Logged

Reply #14 - 10/06/10 at 12:47:38

Los Humungos   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Sometimes wears a Wally
Werderich costume

I race a boat of this same design (V1A mixed, aka mixer) on a regular basis here in the land of Lincoln.  Here is my 2 centavos on it.  I

t is a USCA spec boat with cruiser 4x32 proportions.  Accordingly, in USCA races, it can be raced in the C2 class or the C2 standard class.  The main spec design in the C2 class is the "pro boat" 3x27 design.  As Charlie mentioned, if all else is equal, the mixer is a slower canoe then a pro boat.  Accordingly, most of the time, a mixer will not race in the USCA C2 class.  That being said though, I have beaten plenty of proboats racing my mixer.

The playground where the mixer generally races is the USCA C2 standard class.  While a mixer can race in the C2 class as well as the C2 standard class, a proboat can not race in the USCA C2 standard class.  All else being equal, the mixer can hold its own in the standard class.  It is not the fastest boat in the class, but it is not the slowest either.  Personally, I would put it a little above average (6.5 on a scale of 1 to 10).    

I own 3 proboats, but most of the time I choose to race my mixer over the 3 proboats.  Why?  You might ask.  Notice above I made my boat comparasons based on all things being equal.  As you all probably know, very seldom are things equal.  That is where the beauty of the mixer is.  The mixer adds a level of versatility that in my opinion is unequaled in any category of USCA spec racing canoes.  Why?  The stern of the canoe is set up so that the sliding rails can be set in two different positions.  Thus you have much more of a balance range with this canoe.  Accordingly, you can balance the canoe better to adjust to the conditions you are racing.  Probably more importantly though, you have more adjustment possibilities to balance with different partners that may have huge differences in terms of weight.  You will have a very difficult time balancing a proboat or even a V1A if the difference in paddler weights is more than 25 pounds.  With a mixer, no problem.  Big husband and small wife, no problem.  Parent and youth child, no problem.  Flaco Mastodontico Smiley and guardo Solido, no problem.  In my opinion, in most situations, I would rather have a balanced mixer than an unbalanced proboat.  My usual non Solido racing partner here in Illinois weighs about 30 to 40 pounds more than me.  We race best in a mixer.

Taking it all into consideration, while it may not be the fastest boat, it is a great boat because of its versatility.  If you are new to canoe racing, you can literally grow into racing with this boat.  If you are a vet, a mixer greatly expands your horizions in terms of who you can race with.  If I could only have one USCA spec racing canoe, I would pick this one because of its versatility.

Now the USCA specs mean nothing in the classes set out for the MR340.  So what does that mean for the mixer?  In my opinion, I feel that this boat would be a very stout competitor in the MR340.  In 2009 I raced this boats "cousin" in terms of design, the V1 (the V1 is a proboat design).  The V1 performed admirably for us in the race.  The mixer would be a bit slower than the V1, but it would also be more stable.  This could be a positive factor for the mixer over other racing canoes in the final miles of an ultra marathon.  Alsoit must be noted that as Charlie said, this canoe is meant to be paddled with a single blade.  While I understand that in Texas that they rig mixers up for use with a rudder and double blades, I personally would advise against it.  I personally think that using this canoe with a double blade takes away the possible advantage of "single blade enduarnce" in a ultra marathon race (I know that this point is arguable, but this is my opinion).

In terms of tippyness vs a QCC 700 or a West Side Boat Shop kayak, if you have no problems with tippyness in those kayaks, you will be fine in this canoe. If you are just jumping into racing canoes for the first time, it must be remembered that this is a racing steed and it is relatively tippy by nature.  Gennerally, the more speedy your boat's design is, the more tippy it will be.  Without experience, do not expect to jump into this canoe and be comfortable without practice.  When I first started racing I used this boat and spent a lot of time swimming in the water after tipping the canoe over.  Over time and practice though, the tippyness will go away, so do not let that scare you too much.  Like I said, it is a great boat to grow in canoe racing with.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions about this canoe.  If you asked Mrs. Mastodontico, she might tell you that I have spent more time with my mixer this summer than I have with her.  Smiley

Hut,
Wally "Mastodontico" Werderich
Los Humungos Paddleos      
« Last Edit: 10/07/10 at 00:13:16 by Los Humungos »  

Sometimes when you are man, you wear stretchy pants...its for fun... -Nacho   
You do not get guns like these from riding a bike. -Matt Strieb
IP Logged

Reply #15 - 10/06/10 at 12:55:39
Scott   Ex Member

What Wally fails to mention is that this boat model weighs 400 pounds.  Although this particular boat only weighs 398 due to the gaping hole in the bottom.

$1105.00

IP Logged

Reply #16 - 10/06/10 at 19:31:22

cdoggett   Offline
8X MR340 Veteran
2X Kawlloween Veteran
3X Gritty Veteran
Katy 50 Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran
Saint Louis

Wally, can this canoe and my Thunderbolt live in the same house or will they fight with each other for attention.  Smiley

$1125

IP Logged

Reply #17 - 10/06/10 at 21:47:34

chuck and di   Offline
13X MR340 Veteran
Kawlloween Veteran
MR340 Record Holder
5X Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawnivore Record Holder
Kawnivore Veteran

Thankx for the info (don't buy this boat) wally. While I can't say (the boat really does suck) that i'll be racing in (you will be sorry if you buy this boat) any of the multiple classes you (chuck really deserves this boat) mentioned, or that I even (let Chuck bid it out) understand it all, the boat does (you really don't want his clunker) have a certain appeal to me. Wait a sec.....
Di just informs me that subliminal messages don't work when written (she's wrong), and that I am a dumba$$ (she doesn't get to ride in it then).
$1127.75

IP Logged

Reply #18 - 10/07/10 at 10:12:31

jimmiethejet   Offline
MR340 Veteran

In honor of how many days are left until MR340 2011............I raise you $2.84

$1130.59

IP Logged

Reply #19 - 10/07/10 at 14:35:23
Scott   Ex Member

Honestly, you couldn't pay me to paddle a boat like this.  I'd even be embarrassed to be seen with it on my truck... and my truck is pretty embarrassing all by itself.  But hey, it's for a really good cause.  So, in the interest of Missouri River Relief and a clean Missouri River...

$1133.00

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print