Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
rivermiles.com Missouri American WaterMissouri River Relief Alpine Shop St. James WineryPfefferkorn Engineering & Environmentalladsurfski.com Olathe Ford Lincoln Mercuryprojectathena.orgFarmer's Insurancehealthyriverspartnership.comLewis and Clark Boathouse and Nature Center2013 Stickers
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Nutrition- What are you eating? (Read 12138 times)
08/13/10 at 14:08:51

Dan_VS_Wild   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
GO OUTSIDE. DO COOL STUFF.

On my training runs of 40+ miles, I started noticing a serious decline in energy towards the end, and just overall feeling tired and out of it. I was drinking straight water, I have since added electrolyte mix and it has helped alot with the headaches and slighlty confused feeling id get if I was too hot. Normally im eating sandwiches, because they are easy to store and easy to eat while in the boat. Im not sure im getting the amount of 'fuel' out of my food this way.

So what are you guys eating?

Also ive seen some posts about high calorie mix in a water bottle..... anyone care to elaborate on the high octane bottle concoction?

Why can't you trust a tree? Cause they're shady, man.
IP Logged

Reply #1 - 08/13/10 at 15:13:46

West Hansen   Offline
7X MR340 Veteran
2X MR340 Record Holder
3X Gritty Veteran
Kawnivore Record Holder
Kawnivore Veteran
Gritty Fitty Record Holder
He who hesitates is lunch.
--Chuck Darwin
Austin, Texas, Third Coast

In a bike bottle:
2 scoops of chocolate Spiz
2 scoops of vanilla Spiz
1 scoop of Carbo Gain (maltodextrin)
1 scoop of vanilla whey protein
8 electrolyte capsules (seperated and poured in)
3 tablespoons coconut oil (not coconut milk)
water

Makes about 1200 usuable calories. Take a sip now and then. Will last about four hours. Don't drink anything but straight water with it (i.e. no electrolyte drinks). Take 2 electrolyte tablets every two hours or so or 3 every 3 hours. Eat normal food.

--West

Cognitive Dissonance: when being wrong just isn't an option.
IP Logged

Reply #2 - 08/13/10 at 15:15:47

West Hansen   Offline
7X MR340 Veteran
2X MR340 Record Holder
3X Gritty Veteran
Kawnivore Record Holder
Kawnivore Veteran
--Chuck Darwin

P.S. Coconut oil solidifies below 72 degrees F, so don't add ice or cold water. Just room temp. Then make sure to give it a shake before each sip. --West

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 08/13/10 at 15:45:12

settlenow   Offline
MR340 Veteran
MR340 Record Holder
Kawnivore Veteran
Kawnivore Record Holder

Check out www.HammerNutrition.com ; Perpetuem and HEED, and Endurolytes, among other products. 

If you use my customer number to tell them I referred you (48331), you'll get a discount on your first order.  (And they will give me a credit). 

Whey protein can lead to extra ammonia production if you take it during prolonged exercise. 

Whatever you do, try it first in training.  If it works for you, it works for you.

Will

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 08/13/10 at 16:06:26

West Hansen   Offline
7X MR340 Veteran
2X MR340 Record Holder
3X Gritty Veteran
Kawnivore Record Holder
Kawnivore Veteran
--Chuck Darwin

Soy protein can give your tummy the crummies, so check it out during long training runs. --West

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 08/13/10 at 17:55:17

awaller   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
Kawlloween Veteran
Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran

I've used Hammer Nutrition products with pretty good results.  I use a combination of Hammer Gel and Perpetuem.  They really keep the energy level up.

I also like to make my own trail mix.  Dried fruit (Pinnapple, cranberry, banana), mixed nuts, Gardettos Snack mix (Or  other light crispy snack), Peanut M&Ms.

It has just the right balance of sweet / salty / crispy so you never really get tired of eating it, and the salt makes you want to drink plenty of water.  It's easy to just throw a handful in your mouth and keep paddling, and it seems to cover all of your nutritional needs very well.

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 08/13/10 at 18:17:02

natecanoes   Offline
MR340 Veteran

I stick with the old standbys:
Whiskey and sausages

ok....actually I am planning on using plain water for drinking, baked beans, boiled potatoes, PBJ sandwiches, and hamburgers and cheeseburgers whenever I can get them. For some reason I really want them, and they sit well with me.
I will also carry a pill bottle full of low-sodium salt, contains potassium and magnesium as well as plain ol' salt.
Ibuprofen
Coffee
Raisins.
That will be about it.

IP Logged

Reply #7 - 08/13/10 at 18:31:08
Scott   Ex Member

I think it was 7th grade science class where I had the epiphany that food was fuel.  The teacher had us do a lab where we burned a good old oily, salty peanut, measuring how much it could raise the temperature of some water to determine calories or something.  But what stuck with me was lighting that peanut on fire and holding it with the little tweezers and watching it burn.  It burned so easily and for so long... Even though I knew it intellectually, it wasn't until that moment that it became clear to me that food really is fuel that our body "burns" for energy. 

That's a long story to just say that peanuts are a great fuel.   Sunflower seeds too.

IP Logged

Reply #8 - 08/14/10 at 06:43:02

brwa175   Offline
5X MR340 Veteran
3X Gritty Veteran
Race Volunteer
Reality is overrated.

nuts and berries...with a little homemade jerky and a few high protein bars thrown in the mix. water and no-sugar electrolyte drink fortified (for taste) with a little ginger, lime juice, cucumber and black cherry juices.

re: scott's science trick. a while back there was this zany science dude who has a series on pbs. to illustrate how many calories were needed to complete one day of the tour de france he piled about 3 dozen jelly donuts in a weber grill and set them on fire. it created a small inferno equivalent to 12,000 calories or so. then he measured the force needed to turn a bike wheel for 190 km and it was only about 1 dozen jelly donuts or so.  then he went on to show that 1/3 of the donuts were used to convert the fuel to ATP and the remainder were used to overcome wind resistance.  

my jelly donut math might be a little off but anyone finishing this year's race in under 40 hours receives a coupon for a free dozen dozen of lamar's donuts. try the glazed raised!

However, truth is a reasonable substitute.
IP Logged

Reply #9 - 08/14/10 at 07:28:04

Walt Birmingham   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
3X MR340 Safety Boat Pilot
Forum Moderator
Chamois, MO

Back in high school my gym teacher/coach used to pull me out of science class in the afternoons so we could go quail hunting on my dads farm. So I might have missed something I need here, but is this set of equations close to accurate?
  Something like......one dozen donuts (is that a metric dozen?) equals 190 kilometers equals 114 miles......divided into 340 miles is, uh 2.982456 dozen donuts. Then we throw in a head wind on day two (that always happens you know). Thats at least another dozen donuts plus enough more donuts to convert it all into energy........so we're somewhere around 4.7 dozen donuts.....per person......and there are two people in the safety boat........man-o-man, I am looking so forward to this race...But how do donuts convert to cherry tarts???

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story. (Mark Twain)       http://greatrivertimes.blogspot.com
IP Logged

Reply #10 - 08/14/10 at 08:49:11

Walt Birmingham   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
3X MR340 Safety Boat Pilot
Forum Moderator
Chamois, MO

Ain't it cool how in just a couple of posts we can seamlessly turn a burnt peanut into several dozen donuts,......or cherry tarts?
If only life was really that simple.

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story. (Mark Twain)       http://greatrivertimes.blogspot.com
IP Logged

Reply #11 - 08/14/10 at 12:59:15

the caveman   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran

peanut butter and honey sandwiches, cut in half
honey bbq and chili cheese fritos, split into 350 calorie servings (about a quarter of the bag)
jalapeno sausage
alternate between latte flavor perpetuem and 50/50 vanilla/chocolate spiz mix
strawberry banana power gels
iced watermelon

It saves time for the bank crew to have your liquid food mixed and ready to at every access point. 
Have all of the solid stuff pre bagged in a big box , so you can just grab what you need and go.  I plan on keeping some emergency food in the boat (as well as an extra water bottle), just in case.
If you haven't tried it, you can't beat iced watermelon in the heat of the day!

IP Logged

Reply #12 - 08/14/10 at 14:28:45

cronchetto   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
Gritty Fitty Veteran
Columbia, Missouri

I've always made burrittos with peanut butter/honey on a flour tortilla. It doesn't get a soggy as bread, you can close both ends  up and you can wrap it in a piece cellophane. But while racing in this heat it melts like butter and hot peanut butter isn't something I'd wish on my worst enemy.

Age is a process of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter. -Mark Twain
IP Logged

Reply #13 - 08/15/10 at 16:56:47

bigmoocanoe   Offline
MR340 Veteran
Fort Collins, CO

The Big Moo Canoe - "Team Heifer" suggests that only cool water and quality jerky, by "Couple Of Jerks", be consumed while paddling the MR340. Couple Of Jerks is a small jerky company out of Labadie, MO and the taste of their meat just can't be beat.

Now we understand that's a lot of jerky for the whole paddling crowd but we have a solution. Just look for "The Bald Avengers" ground crew in a black GMC SUV. They'll be traveling the river with cases of Beef Jerky for your eating pleasure. Watch for a sign on the vehicle and a sign by their campsite each night. They'll be happy to give you a sample so you can decide on the flavor we have wimpy, milder, and spicy.

The cost is just $6.00 a bag and all proceeds go to our beneficiary Heifer International.

http://www.moocanoe.com/
http://acoupleojerks.com/

Rob Bean, Chief Paddling Officer&&The Big Moo Canoe for Heifer International&&Web: http://www.moocanoe.com   &&Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BigMooCanoe  &&Twitter: http://twitter.com/BigMooCanoe
IP Logged

Reply #14 - 08/16/10 at 09:31:55

the caveman   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran

I like the idea of using a tortilla, will have to try that one out.  The bread is merely a vessel for the real goods - the peanut butter and honey - and it can be hard to choke down quickly, especially with a dry mouth.  With a tortilla you could roll in some banana slices as well, yum.

IP Logged

Reply #15 - 08/18/10 at 13:14:10

canoeler1   Offline
5X Ground Crew Veteran
Paddle like a marsupial!
Tebbetts, MO

WE TRIED RIVER HASH-EGGS/SAUSAGE/POTATOHES ETC-IN BURRITOS AND BURGERS AND SUCH IN THE PAST-THIS YEAR: PLAIN WATER; HEED; PERPETUEM & MOST ANY THING THAT JUMPS IN THE BOAT OR THAT CAN BE SNAGGED FROM A TROT LINE IN PASSING.

IP Logged

Reply #16 - 08/19/10 at 22:56:37

chuck and di   Offline
12X MR340 Veteran
Kawlloween Veteran
5X Gritty Fitty Veteran
MR340 Record Holder
Kawnivore Record Holder
Kawnivore Veteran

You cannot possibly eat enough to "recover" what you have been spending during this race. That means every hour you will be further behind in edible calories. Studies show over and over that 250-300 calories is about ALL you can take in per hour. That's a 12 ounce gatoraid recoverite drink (80cal) a hammer gel pack (120 cal) and a 8 fl ounces of fusion (100 cal) or other vegetable drink. You can ingest/drink ALL of these ice cold. I also substitute fruit for the gel packs.
Unless your diet is very high in salt, you will need very little salt replacement for your sweat- which is your cooling system- using the above caloric intake, and almost none for your ionic transport system- which is a closed system, regulated by your body with every effort to save ionic (k+, Na+, Cl- etc.) from depletion naturally.
If you haven't trained yourself to depend on electrolyte replacements- carry a few tablets with you for an emergency- when nothing else seems to be helping recovery- but have a good amount of water available to counter the effects of negative osmosis and reduced water absorption that they will produce.
I used to carry one tablet of electrolyte with me, and have since given up the practice as useless!
Race time is definitely NOT the time to be experimenting with salt intake and/or electrolyte replacement. You should have had this nailed long ago. You can get in serious trouble with improper use of either, the least of which is gastric upset and emptying- something that seems to happen quite commonly during this race.- Chuck

If you find yourself suddenly smack dab in the middle of hell, stopping is not an option.
IP Logged

Reply #17 - 08/20/10 at 00:33:01

S. Swafford   Offline
4X MR340 Veteran
MR340 Record Holder
Gritty Fitty Veteran
Columbia, MO

Homemade deer jerky (or beef in a bad hunting year), string cheese, fresh fruit (berries, melon, grapes, etc.), Gatorade and water. Snack constantly.

In 2008, I had a cheeseburger and tater tots in Hermann, delivered by my wife from The Riverside Cafe at Portland.

It's a formula that works for me. I could skip the cheeseburger if necessary. But I'm serious here: I gained 5 pounds during the 2008 race.  Shocked

Something there is that doesn't love a wall, that wants it down.&&-- Robert Frost, "Mending Wall"
IP Logged

Reply #18 - 08/20/10 at 03:14:00

Eric Farris   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
MR340 Record Holder
Kawnivore Veteran
Kawnivore Record Holder
Branson, Missouri

Speaking of Scott's story of gaining weight during the race, I will share that last year, I had very little appetite Friday night after the race and ate a small breakfast Saturday morning before returning home.  Upon reaching home in the mid-afternoon, I was surprised to find that my weight was up about 10 lbs. from when I had last weighed myself before the race but then over the next couple of days my weight stabilized with a loss back to my pre-race weight. 

My doctor said that temporary weight gain during or shortly after an ultra endurance event such as the MR 340 is usually due to edema.  The swollen paddler's hands and swelling in the torso are from the body holding water in those damaged and/or strained areas.  The fluctuation of a gain followed by a rapid loss is because the body's holding of water "did its job" to protect or stabilize those damaged areas and then, "released" that water from the tissues back to be processed out of the body.

IP Logged

Reply #19 - 08/20/10 at 08:57:55

goldfishgoddess   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
The Docks, Pembrokeshire Wales

Eric, there's a cure for that water weight gain and I'll share the secret.

Just accidentally get a teaspoon or so of river water into your system.

This kicks in the "Mo's Revenge" effect,  which will literally wring out every spare drop of water in your system pronto. 

Lots of love from Wales, United Kingdom.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print