Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
rivermiles.com Missouri American WaterMissouri River Relief Alpine Shop St. James WineryPfefferkorn Engineering & Environmentalladsurfski.com Olathe Ford Lincoln Mercuryprojectathena.orgFarmer's Insurancehealthyriverspartnership.comLewis and Clark Boathouse and Nature Center2013 Stickers
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Another thread on seat padding (Read 15421 times)
05/02/10 at 19:09:35

Joewildlife   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Ground Crew Veteran
Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran
Jackson MO

I was sold on a thick gel sqwoosh pad but I've been reading about some other closed cell foam alternatives.

what say you?

I'm gonna be in a Monarch, no opportunity to kneel if the seat gets bad!

Joe

And I ain't too old to hurry
Cause I ain't too old to die
But I sure am hard to beat
Ride on
AC/DC, Ride On
IP Logged

Reply #1 - 05/02/10 at 19:39:50

natecanoes   Offline
MR340 Veteran

In my Kruger SeaWind (same seat) I used 1" thick Armaflex sheet insulation with a sheet of a "Golds Gym" yoga mat from Wal-Mart glued over that. Total thickness is 1 1/2 inches and very exceptionally comfortable.  I can get you a couple pics tomorrow of how I did it.
Armaflex is the black foam pipe insulation. There are two types, one is a fairly hard foam, which is common, and then there is a much softer foam that you don't see so much. It's used for refrigeration lines and some water piping. You can also get the soft kind in sheets that are used for insulating water meters. I bought a piece 4' x 6' for about $20. I believe that is what is also used for padding the portage yoke on the Sea Wind too.
If you look in the Yellow Pages for a insulation supply house, you should be able to find it.
If you can't find it and want some, let me know and I could probably get some to you. It is also a closed cell foam and will not absorb water. Feels kind of like a memory foam mattress.

Otherwise if you use the 1/2" thick "Gold's Gym" yoga mat from Wally World, it's the same stuff, just colored and and a roll about 2' x 6' is $20 or so. Contact cement works great for gluing it on.
I cut the center part to fit about 2" inside the edges of the seat, then the second (1/2") layer went over that and wrapped under the seat.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 05/03/10 at 18:40:42

Los Humungos   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Sometimes wears a Wally
Werderich costume

Many years of sitting on my butt has made me an experto on this subject.   Cheesy  I am like a Jedi Knight when it comes to sitting on my butt,  like Superfly TNT.  So sit on your butt, crack a cervesa and listen to the song of my trasero.  A little message from Los Humungos Paddleos to your bum...you are welcome Wink

Ridgerest padding, perferrably two layers is muy bueno.  It makes the bums of Los Humungos Paddleos muy contento.   Mmmmm ridgerests.  

Layer two up.  Glue them with contact cement.  If you want to get really tricky, cut out holes on the top one for the contoured areas of your butt (no seriously, sometimes this helps). Another tip is to cut out a little notch at the top for your tail bone (this is what I personally do).  

Pictures...  

1.  plain and with holes
« Last Edit: 05/03/10 at 20:54:52 by Los Humungos »  

IMAG0510_001.jpg (105 KB | )
IMAG0510_001.jpg

Sometimes when you are man, you wear stretchy pants...its for fun... -Nacho   
You do not get guns like these from riding a bike. -Matt Strieb
IP Logged

Reply #3 - 05/03/10 at 18:42:20

Los Humungos   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Sometimes wears a Wally
Werderich costume

Here is my throne on the Dulce Belem (note the notches for the tail bone)
« Last Edit: 05/03/10 at 20:55:58 by Los Humungos »  

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 05/03/10 at 21:23:59

Joewildlife   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Ground Crew Veteran
Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran
Jackson MO

Hey Humungos, it worries me how much you are in touch with your assumgos!

I will pursue some ridgerest foam despite your fascination!

Joe

And I ain't too old to hurry
Cause I ain't too old to die
But I sure am hard to beat
Ride on
AC/DC, Ride On
IP Logged

Reply #5 - 05/04/10 at 12:33:34

Los Humungos   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Sometimes wears a Wally
Werderich costume

Just to be clear, I do not like the ridgerest, it is my assumungos that likes the the ridgerest.  And to quote my illustrious partner Solido, "sometimes you just have to let your assumungos do your thinking for you."

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 05/04/10 at 20:20:50

natecanoes   Offline
MR340 Veteran

Pictures of my setup ...

You can see the black 1" foam underneath the yoga mat. I tapered the edges of the black foam so it would fit better, then wrapped the blue foam under the edges of the seat to give it a neat appearance.

For anyone running a QCC 700X (or any other QCC), you might not like the seats in them. I found mine to be terrible. My solution was to cut the factory one out with a Dremel and replace with a homemade one. The homemade seat was pink Styrofoam insulation that I glued into a seatlike shape, then gave it the final shape with a drill and sanding pad and rasps. I then overlaid it with 4 layers of epoxy and fiberglass. I glassed it onto the hull and covered it with the aforementioned yoga mat. It makes a HUGE difference in the comfort level. More thigh support too so my legs don't go numb.

IP Logged

Reply #7 - 05/05/10 at 08:54:01

Los Humungos   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Sometimes wears a Wally
Werderich costume

My my my Nate, those are some comfortable looking seats.  Nice work.  Actually, I have used the 1/2 inch armaflex before and it is not only economical, it works well too.  Putting the yoga pad on it looks like it makes it more comfortable too.

IP Logged

Reply #8 - 05/05/10 at 09:05:07

West Hansen   Offline
7X MR340 Veteran
2X MR340 Record Holder
3X Gritty Veteran
Kawnivore Record Holder
Kawnivore Veteran
Gritty Fitty Record Holder
He who hesitates is lunch.
--Chuck Darwin
Austin, Texas, Third Coast

I think the tail bone notch is a good idea. I keep forgetting about it until 70 miles into a race, then have a "doh!" moment as my skin is rubbed off at the top of my buttocks. I'm going to take care of that this weekend (the seat, not the buttocks).
--West

Cognitive Dissonance: when being wrong just isn't an option.
IP Logged

Reply #9 - 05/05/10 at 14:12:09

WAIMANU   Offline
5X MR340 Veteran

I have a similar seat to Nate and have a 3/4" closed cell foam layer, built up a bit at the pommel, on it, to which I affixed a peel 'n stick Seat PADZ but found that to be too warm  ...have added a self-inflating SEAL LINE Dicovery Seat Cushion, held in place by a thin bungee around the centre (front to back) of the seat  ...let out most of the air in the cushion and voila - a seat that is good for12 hour stints!  ...what about the cord around the centre you ask?           ...aha! wegee your thinking ...nope, so far so good  ...guess a good cleveage now and then never hurts! Huh Roll Eyes

Bill / Waimanu

IP Logged

Reply #10 - 05/06/10 at 11:52:30

natecanoes   Offline
MR340 Veteran

Thanks Wally! The yoga pad does help. Before I added it, only the bottom portion of the seat had been padded with the aforementioned 1" armaflex. I was having problems with my tailbone becoming tender, so the yoga pad covered the part that was bothering me. (and it looks cool, matches my sprayskirt)
I'm going to try this out as soon as the snow quits, and see if it helps. If not I'll notch it. Good tip.

It is a bit warm though as Bill says.

IP Logged

Reply #11 - 05/09/10 at 20:24:06

JoshS   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
3X Gritty Veteran
2X MR340 Safety Boat Pilot
Forum Moderator
Kawnivore Veteran

I have a Prijon Seayak, and I am been having problems with my legs cramping when I am in the boat for more than an hour or so, I think it is because I need something under my hamstrings, I tried a swimming noodle, but that isnt cutting it.  Has anyone tried the Jackson Happy Seat (inflatable air bladder that goes under the legs) and if so what did they think of it?

Thanks

Josh

IP Logged

Reply #12 - 05/10/10 at 09:15:56

West Hansen   Offline
7X MR340 Veteran
2X MR340 Record Holder
3X Gritty Veteran
Kawnivore Record Holder
Kawnivore Veteran
He who hesitates is lunch.
--Chuck Darwin
Austin, Texas, Third Coast

Get your tush higher than your legs and make sure the area between your butt and your thighs isn't being restrictive to blood flow. --West

Cognitive Dissonance: when being wrong just isn't an option.
IP Logged

Reply #13 - 05/10/10 at 11:48:26

gus   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
Race Volunteer
Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran

I have a prijon kodiak and I went to Wal-Mart and picked up a twin mattress pad for like 20 bucks.  Cut it up in the pieces that fit on the seat nicely.  I raised me up about 3 inches and is really comfortable. The twin mattress pad made six seats.  So if one gets really wet, you can switch it out with a dry one and they don't weigh very much at all.

Gus

IP Logged

Reply #14 - 05/10/10 at 19:06:45

chuck and di   Offline
12X MR340 Veteran
Kawlloween Veteran
5X Gritty Fitty Veteran
MR340 Record Holder
Kawnivore Record Holder
Kawnivore Veteran

Christ you guys are complicating an easily solved problem. Get an inflateable seat cushion. Put it on whatever seat you have in your boat. Let the air out until your butt barely touches the firm part of the seat. This establishes boat contact, stability and feel, and no matter where you move your butt, there is cushioning.

If you find yourself suddenly smack dab in the middle of hell, stopping is not an option.
IP Logged

Reply #15 - 05/11/10 at 14:11:32

Paul C.   Offline
Kawnivore Veteran

Ditto on the inflatables ...

I've found this works better for me than any foam:
http://www.rei.com/product/780983

IP Logged

Reply #16 - 05/11/10 at 15:21:42

yankeeclipper   Offline
MR340 Veteran
4X Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawlloween Veteran
2X Ground Crew Veteran
Katy 50 Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran

Just buy a canoe

IP Logged

Reply #17 - 05/15/10 at 22:17:49

Mark Frankenbach   Offline
4X MR340 Veteran
Ground Crew Veteran
Hannibal MO

I purchased a used 700QCC with the seat already cut out. When I use the original seat the strap adjustments dig into my kidneys. I have very long legs and barly fit inside the boat anyway. I am looking to build a new seat for it, and I was wondering if close to the floor is better, or do I need to to be off the floor a inch or two. Is the a best ratio from butt to heel hight

IP Logged

Reply #18 - 05/17/10 at 22:43:47

Oldielocks   Ex Member

I'll insert my .02 here and suggest you look at the Bumfortable seat available from PXT Kayaks.  I have one and love it.  A whole bunch of racers in the Wisconsin and Illinois are are using them.  Good, responsive service and Phil knows his stuff.

Kevin

IP Logged

Reply #19 - 02/23/11 at 16:05:26

Pappy   Offline
6X MR340 Veteran
3X Kawlloween Veteran
2X Gritty Fitty Veteran
2X Kawnivore Veteran
Kawlloween Record Holder
kansas City, MO

This is the thread that Chuck said get an air cushion. We got the Therm-a-rest camp cushion. Here is a link to what has worked for us.

http://cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-rest/seating/trek-and-travel-seating/trail-sea...

We had a lot of problems with everthing we tried after about 3 hours on the water but these cushions made the difference. all our runs over 3 hours last year were done with no seat pain. Thanks Chuck!!!

In an effert to deal with back support this year we have removed the back rest on our desk chairs and tilt the seat in the car back when we drive so we are not siting with minimum back support only on the water.

If brute force doesn't solve your problems you're not using enough of it!
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print