Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
rivermiles.com Missouri American WaterMissouri River Relief Alpine Shop Llama RacksPfefferkorn Engineering & Environmentalladsurfski.com paddlestop.comOlathe Ford Lincoln MercuryFarmer's InsuranceLewis and Clark Boathouse and Nature CenterSome Beach Outfittersprojectathena.org healthyriverspartnership.comMidwest Paddle AdventuresPaddle KC
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 24
Send Topic Print
Sunset Races-2nd Thursday of each month (Read 255605 times)
Reply #80 - 02/10/11 at 08:10:59

jheger   Offline
MR340 Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran

Looking Forward to the race tonight!

IP Logged

Reply #81 - 02/10/11 at 12:02:15

Joes   Offline
Future Participant

I am planning on being there tonight. This will be an interesting race. Undecided It is predicted to get down to 14 degrees F overnight. ...I wonder if the channel will be open all the way to 141.

IP Logged

Reply #82 - 02/10/11 at 12:35:11

HoganHaake   Offline
5X MR340 Veteran
Kawlloween Veteran
Saint. Louis, Missouri

We can use my boat to ram open a channel!

Hogan

IP Logged

Reply #83 - 02/10/11 at 12:53:24

SkiBumJoe   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Race Volunteer
Kawnivore Veteran
Ballwin, MO

East of 141 looks clear of any ice.  It's very different upstream.

IP Logged

Reply #84 - 02/10/11 at 14:24:12

19shady69   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
Ground Crew Veteran

Won't be able to race tonight. Cry    Was out on the river this morning near Hwy 30. Iced totally across about 1/2 mile upstream as well as downstream near George Winter Park. Started to break up around noon as we were leaving.  P.S. Watch out for large ice cicles falling from bridges. (too close for comfort)!
                                                       Have fun,
                                                                        Brian

IP Logged

Reply #85 - 02/11/11 at 22:13:31

JoJo   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran
Gritty Fitty Veteran
Ground Crew Veteran
St. Louis City

The title of my February Sunset Race is "Dumb and Dumber."

IP Logged

Reply #86 - 02/11/11 at 22:54:06

SkiBumJoe   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Race Volunteer
Kawnivore Veteran
Ballwin, MO

When will you post the video? Please share..... Need to see the JoJo/Hogan bobsled team's training run

IP Logged

Reply #87 - 02/12/11 at 01:38:44

jheger   Offline
MR340 Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran

Which one of you is 'Dumber'?

IP Logged

Reply #88 - 02/12/11 at 09:46:05

19shady69   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
Ground Crew Veteran

How was the race?    A friend of mine took a swim during practice yesterday at the Greentree boat ramp. Brrrrrr.
                                                                                                                                                                     Brian

IP Logged

Reply #89 - 02/13/11 at 21:16:38

HoganHaake   Offline
5X MR340 Veteran
Kawlloween Veteran
Saint. Louis, Missouri

Read the post, then click on the link below for the video!

Thursday 2/10/11 was one of the most eventful Sunset Races to date. The air temperature was below freezing and the water was slightly above freezing. We got the boats at the top of the ramp and looked down. The ramp was covered from the top to the bottom with ice! Jo Jo had decided earlier in the week to be my canoe partner. She told me that her logic was that my boat, "The Turd", would keep her much drier than her kayak. I couldn't argue with that point as The Turd has never let us down! Standing at the top of the ramp, Jo Jo suggested that we ride the boat all the way down and into the water. I was nervous, but figured that she would get splashed and we'd have a bit of water in the bottom of the boat and a great memory. I also felt safe because Jo Jo is a whitewater paddler and knows a few things about boats more than me!
    So without further thought, I started to put my stuff in the boat. You'll hear from the start of the video that I was being rushed, so against my better judgment, I didn't attach the dry bag to the canoe as I always do. I did decide it was worth attaching my GPS watch to the boat so it wouldn't fall to the bottom of the boat. I stowed my wooden bent shaft paddle in favor of the six foot plastic paddle. If I broke the big paddle, it could be cheaply replaced!
    I sat in the back of the boat and Jo Jo started "paddling" the boat along on the ice. I started to help until it appeared that we were picking up speed faster. At this point, I made the statement "This is the dumbest thing I have ever done". This was shortly followed by a 4 letter word or two. Where the ramp meets the water at the bottom, the left side didn't have complete ice coverage meeting the water. This means that I would have a cheese grader effect on the bottom of my boat. I stuck out my right leg for a dual purpose. First, was do steer the boat towards the right side of the ramp to protect the boat. Second was to SLOW DOWN!
    I don't remember the boat hitting the water, but I know it happened. This is because an instant after we hit the water, I was under the water. I came up for air and something about it being cold. Jo Jo tried valiantly to stay with the boat and have me pull her and the boat back to the shore. After she lost her footing and was no longer able to stand, she gave up on the boat and I pulled her by her paddle back to shore. Had I been thinking, I should have used my longer paddle to help her pull all back to shore. As we walked back up the ramp to the cars to warm up. I watched The Turd float slowly down the river. I hoped that my dry bag did its job and stay with the boat.
    While we went for warmth, Joey [the camera man] took his kayak down to the water and chased after my boat. Back at Jo Jo's van, we quickly got inside and tried our best to get warm. After the boat was retrieved and things settled down, I was asked if we were still going to do our race. I turned them down with the thought of no more dry clothes available should an accident occur again...
    Please feel free to laugh at us! We're happy that we were not seriously injured and could get to warmth quickly. Be safe and join us on March 10th when we try again!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQZ2_O5vVYk

Hogan

IP Logged

Reply #90 - 02/13/11 at 22:07:24

SkiBumJoe   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Race Volunteer
Kawnivore Veteran
Ballwin, MO

Hogan/JoJo;

Grin  Grin LOL....LOL....ROFLMAO... Awesome.... I wish I got off work sooner to actually witness your bobsled run. As mentioned, fortunately, it was just wet clothes and a very interesting story to share, and did not involve a '911' call. LOL!!!! LOL!!!!

I might join you guys next month (as long as sliding down the ramp is not a requirement).

Joe

IP Logged

Reply #91 - 02/14/11 at 00:09:23

JoJo   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran
Gritty Fitty Veteran
Ground Crew Veteran
St. Louis City

So I walked into work Friday morning and handed my bashful, awkwardly shy Nepalese employee a parcel...peeled from the floor of my van the bundle of clothes I wore the night before had frozen into a mysterious pile with a story behind it.  He doesn't even ask...just forces it throught the door of a washer and starts the cycle.  As everyone gathered around to see my video phone Mary, my other employee asked, "It isn't you doin' sumpthin' stupid again, is it?" 

Hogan comment as we approached Vmax "this has gotta be the dumbest thing we've ever done!"  I reviewed my life quickly and determined that it was not even close. ( I am a former freight pilot.)  Joey, the cameraman, told us at the bar that after I hit the water I said, "NOW it is the dumbest thing I have ever done." 

The biggest lesson I took away from the evening..Do not wear fleece as paddling gear.  It is way too heavy to swim in once it gets wet.  A drysuit is the only way you will survive these temperatures. 

IP Logged

Reply #92 - 02/14/11 at 06:20:57

starbor   Offline
MR340 Veteran
361-277-1214
victoria texas

and I thought paddling down here in texas at 70 degrees was too cold!

361-277-1214
IP Logged

Reply #93 - 02/14/11 at 08:19:25

19shady69   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
Ground Crew Veteran

I should have posted earlier ......... that is exactly how my friend took a swim the other day. He was like a torpedo down that frozen ramp!

IP Logged

Reply #94 - 02/14/11 at 22:15:03

Joes   Offline
Future Participant

We need to teach you guys how to brace when the big turd tips! JoJo and Hogan, you are going to need to redeem yourselves next season! Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #95 - 02/15/11 at 21:10:16

JoJo   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran
Gritty Fitty Veteran
Ground Crew Veteran
St. Louis City

I suppose this means I am going to have problems finding a tandem partner for the 340.

IP Logged

Reply #96 - 02/16/11 at 00:07:17

awaller   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
Kawlloween Veteran
Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran

That's wicked guys!  I'd bet you could have pulled it off in a kayak.  It looks like the high center of gravity is what got you.

This could be the start of a new "mid-winter" tradition...

IP Logged

Reply #97 - 03/07/11 at 19:54:11

JoJo   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran
Gritty Fitty Veteran
Ground Crew Veteran
St. Louis City

The 27th monthly Sunset Race
Thursday March 10, 2011
Greentree to Greentree on the Meramec (at near flood stage, no less!)
2$ entry fee Winner takes all
meet at 530pm at the ramp.

So last month didn't quite go as planned.  The race lasted less than .3 seconds for Hogan and I as I made this decision to seal launch the icebergized boatramp and gently glide across the water.  Hogan, the dear heart, followed me right off the face of the earth.  Into the icy water.  To think earlier that day he offered the added benefit to paddling the Turd as : You will stay dry in my canoe.  Never once did it occur to me we'd flip.  Joey said never once did it occur to him we wouldn't!  Which brings me to the moral of the story.  Smart people do dumb things too....No, No, No!  That's not the moral of the story.

The moral of the story is cameramen should always have rescue gear available cuz if it's worth filming it's probably going to need a bailout plan.  No!  That's no the moral of the story.

The moral of the story is think for yourself.  My dad used to preach,, "If all your friends took a flying leap off a cliff would you do it , too?"  Well, yes, if I didn't realize I was in midair until I was in midair.  To Hogan's credit, he did attempt to ditch the maneuver midflight, but didn't want me to endure this crisis alone.  No, That is not the moral of the story, either.

The moral of the story is Turd Happens.  Be ready for all scenarios.  It could mean your life.

IP Logged

Reply #98 - 03/08/11 at 16:10:39

HoganHaake   Offline
5X MR340 Veteran
Kawlloween Veteran
Saint. Louis, Missouri

That is a lot of morals from a group like ours...

I'm ready for Thursday but need a canoe partner. I promise I won't try to run the boat down the icy ramp for 2 reasons.
1. No Ice
2. No Ramp (river is UP).

If you're interested, write back on the forum or call me. Otherwise I'll buy a kayak paddle and see how fast the turd is solo! See ya Thursday!!!

Hogan
three 1 4 - 94one. 2 six six seven

IP Logged

Reply #99 - 04/11/11 at 12:00:02

HoganHaake   Offline
5X MR340 Veteran
Kawlloween Veteran
Saint. Louis, Missouri

Its been one month and its time to bring our thread back to the top. Thursday 4/14 is our monthly sunset race. The temperature looks to be warm, but it may rain on us. We are racing from GreenTree park at 5:30pm going upstream to 141 bridge and back to GreenTree. Please come out and paddle with us, it will be a great time and good practice for the upcoming race.

Hogan

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 24
Send Topic Print