Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
rivermiles.com Missouri American WaterMissouri River Relief Alpine Shop Llama RacksPfefferkorn Engineering & Environmentalladsurfski.com paddlestop.comOlathe Ford Lincoln MercuryFarmer's InsuranceLewis and Clark Boathouse and Nature CenterSome Beach Outfittersprojectathena.org healthyriverspartnership.comMidwest Paddle AdventuresPaddle KC
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 24
Send Topic Print
Sunset Races-2nd Thursday of each month (Read 256030 times)
Reply #60 - 11/13/10 at 06:55:57

Jeff Moore   Offline
MR340 Veteran
MR340 Record Holder
Kawnivore Record Holder
Kawnivore Veteran
St. Louis

We paddled upstream from Sherman a ways then burned the shoulders up doing some ridiculous sprint starts from the beach to the bridge. Good time none the less. Catch you guys next month.

IP Logged

Reply #61 - 11/14/10 at 09:01:04

HoganHaake   Offline
5X MR340 Veteran
Kawlloween Veteran
Saint. Louis, Missouri

Jeff,

I"m sorry that we missed you. December will also be a Greentree to 141 and back race. I'll try to make sure we are more clear on our postings. Feel free to call before the race to verify that things are on track.

314. nine 4 one.266 seven

Hogan

IP Logged

Reply #62 - 11/14/10 at 09:28:11

HoganHaake   Offline
5X MR340 Veteran
Kawlloween Veteran
Saint. Louis, Missouri

We had an amazing sunset race in November. We had three boats, two kayaks and one three person canoe. The water on the Meramec was lower that I have ever seen it. This caused an 141 like chute of water near Simpson lake. The two kayaks raced through it, but it took the canoe 4 tries and some poling with a cheap paddle to work their way through. The weather was just about perfect and we had an all around great time.

I have attached a file with the lap times for the canoe. If you have ever thought "my boat is too slow for this race" you should think again. We're just average people meeting to have fun and do our best. You should come out and give the race a try. Its a nice way to meet new paddlers and have fun! The river is awesome at night.

Finally, I went and got photos of JoJo's rock. I have personally run over it several times. The bottom of my boat will prove that! Decide for yourself how scary it is. The whole album is [url]http://snorkie.com/2010/11.11-SunsetRace/[/url].

[img]http://snorkie.com/2010/11.11%2DSunsetRace/images/img_1426.jpg[/img]
[img]http://snorkie.com/2010/11.11%2DSunsetRace/images/img_1427.jpg[/img]

Happy paddling. Hope to see lots of you at next month's race!

Hogan

IP Logged

Reply #63 - 11/15/10 at 10:37:15

19shady69   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
Ground Crew Veteran

JoJo,
        Thanks for arranging this cool race! Had a great time and weather was perfect. Post race refreshments were nice too!

Hogan,
        Thanks for letting me tag along in your canoe. How do I find the attachment with our times?

Nice to meet everyone that showed up.  (JoJo, Joe, Joey, Hogan)
                                                                                                       Thanks,
                                                                                                                    Brian

IP Logged

Reply #64 - 11/16/10 at 07:47:19

HoganHaake   Offline
5X MR340 Veteran
Kawlloween Veteran
Saint. Louis, Missouri

Brian,

Sorry that I didn't attach the document. I think it got lost when I started adding photos.

Hogan

IP Logged

Reply #65 - 12/07/10 at 10:16:10

Spencer MacYakker   Offline
MR340 Veteran
Saint Charles, MO

Looks to be a balmy 38 F (and dropping) on Thursday evening!  Beautiful night for a paddle!  See you all at Greentree!

Spencer

You don't beat it.  You don't beat this river.
IP Logged

Reply #66 - 12/07/10 at 11:14:02

19shady69   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
Ground Crew Veteran

Won't be able to make this one. I have to work. Maybe in January!
(That sounds crazy. I've never paddled in January!)
                                                                                                  Brian

IP Logged

Reply #67 - 12/07/10 at 13:28:52

HoganHaake   Offline
5X MR340 Veteran
Kawlloween Veteran
Saint. Louis, Missouri

In case anybody is wondering, we're still on. Greentree at 5:30 pm on Thursday (December 9) . Get your paddles ready for some ice, cause its gonna be a cold one! Water should be about a foot higher than last month!

In preparation for this event, I rode my motorcycle to work on Monday. Was 13 degrees warm when I got to work  Grin

314. nine 4 one.266 seven
Hogan

IP Logged

Reply #68 - 12/09/10 at 11:26:41

Joes   Offline
Future Participant

looking forward to tonight's paddle. I am glad it warmed up!

IP Logged

Reply #69 - 12/09/10 at 13:15:38

JoJo   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran
Gritty Fitty Veteran
Ground Crew Veteran
St. Louis City

Yes!  We are on for the 24th monthly Sunset race!  Meet at Greentree at 530.  Round Robin to Greentree totals 5 miles.  2$ entry fee winner takes all!!!

Call me if you have never participated before so we can get some details down...like WE ARE MEETING AT GREENTREE INSTEAD OF SHERMAN BEACH!  Dave...Jeff...

See you there,  Jo
49-triple7-49

IP Logged

Reply #70 - 12/10/10 at 11:19:07

Spencer MacYakker   Offline
MR340 Veteran
Saint Charles, MO

I'm already looking forward to the next on!  Jan 13th can come soon enuf!

You don't beat it.  You don't beat this river.
IP Logged

Reply #71 - 12/13/10 at 13:02:37

HoganHaake   Offline
5X MR340 Veteran
Kawlloween Veteran
Saint. Louis, Missouri

We had an awesome race last Thursday. It ended up being "warm" and I was sweating. As always the case, Ryan and I were in the slow boat. The water was about 6 - 12 inches higher than last month...

I should mention that the start was delayed because Spencer's rudder broke. We spent several minutes ashore trying to fix it before duct taping it to his boat and going anyway.

Hogan

IP Logged

Reply #72 - 01/10/11 at 22:05:44

HoganHaake   Offline
5X MR340 Veteran
Kawlloween Veteran
Saint. Louis, Missouri

Thursday, January 13, is just a few days away! Anybody ready to brave the cold with us? I need a canoe partner if anybody's interested. All you need to do is dress warm and I'll bring the boat, paddles, and PDFs (life jackets). I"ll even make sure you keep your feet dry  Grin

We start at 5:30pm at Greentree park in Kirkwood. We'll be paddling up river to the 141 bridge and back to Greentree park. Then we'll go out for food and tell stories about how warm we were! If you're on the fence, give me a call and I'll try to talk you into it  Smiley

Hope to see you on the river!

Hogan
314-nine four one - two 6 6 seven

IP Logged

Reply #73 - 01/12/11 at 08:29:19

JoJo   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran
Gritty Fitty Veteran
Ground Crew Veteran
St. Louis City

Danielle is letting you paddle the chunky water scene??? Last year she wouldn't let him.  She didn't want him to contend with the  icebergs...  What'd you do, Hogan!  Did you make her mad?  Or is she seeing you skills advance so much because of your Sunset racing, that she knows you can handle anything the river throws out at you. 

Like bank repairs.  Hogan, Spencer and Joe demonstrated their genius by engineering Spencer's boat at the startline in the dark.  The ruder popped out and would not be console with even duct tape...so Spencer managed to pull off a win even without it.  Joe was only a few seconds behind and JoJo...paddled as hard as she could but was no competition.  This time.  Drat, that Spencer is gettin' gooooood.

Come join us...er, I should say,  Come join Hogan...because I am headed to TX for some fair weather paddling.  Hogan will post any changes to plan...like a delay...should there be one.  It's Josh's b-day so Sartori is out for the month.  JoJo

IP Logged

Reply #74 - 01/12/11 at 12:22:24

HoganHaake   Offline
5X MR340 Veteran
Kawlloween Veteran
Saint. Louis, Missouri

I think we're going to have to postpone the race. Between the ride to work this morning and lunch, a significant amount of ice has built up on the river. It isn't warming up any time soon, so I expect even more ice! I would expect the river to be almost completely ice covered by tomorrow night. I'm not sure when we'll re-schedule, because it isn't really warming up above freezing in the 10 day forecast either. Sorry Sad I really wanted to paddle!

Hogan

IP Logged

Reply #75 - 02/08/11 at 10:05:57

HoganHaake   Offline
5X MR340 Veteran
Kawlloween Veteran
Saint. Louis, Missouri

Its Tuesday and we're racing on Thursday 2/10/11 at 5:30 pm. Meet at Greentree park in Kirkwood and we'll paddle to 141 and back. There will be some ice, but we're ready for it this time.  If anybody isn't sure, I currently don't have a canoe partner and would be happy to paddle with somebody. Otherwise, I'll be going solo in my canoe... Feel free to call if you're interested. I'll provide the paddle/PFD. Just bring something warm to wear!

Hogan
three1four-nine4one-two66seven

IP Logged

Reply #76 - 02/08/11 at 10:08:33

HoganHaake   Offline
5X MR340 Veteran
Kawlloween Veteran
Saint. Louis, Missouri

Here is some of the crew that races...

...  Joe
...  Jo Jo
...  Spencer and Ryan

IP Logged

Reply #77 - 02/08/11 at 14:44:16

JoJo   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran
Gritty Fitty Veteran
Ground Crew Veteran
St. Louis City

Awright, Hogan!  It's you n me, baby.  Two seasoned paddlers in a divorce boat..Do you think we will ever speak to each other again after this 3 hour tour?

JoJo

IP Logged

Reply #78 - 02/08/11 at 17:23:41

HoganHaake   Offline
5X MR340 Veteran
Kawlloween Veteran
Saint. Louis, Missouri

I know I call the boat "The Turd" but it isn't three hours slow, unless you are planning on paddling backwards! Looking forward to Thursday!!!  As for the divorce, how could anybody not get along with the sweet and wonderful Jo Jo?

Hogan

IP Logged

Reply #79 - 02/08/11 at 18:31:27

JoJo   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran
Gritty Fitty Veteran
Ground Crew Veteran
St. Louis City

Uh huh, right.  And Hogan, would you plz tell the world I am much cuter than that picture above says I am.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 24
Send Topic Print