Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
rivermiles.com kcpaddler.comepic kayaks and paddles SUPStLouisMissouri American WaterMissouri River Relief Lewis and Clark Boathouse and Nature Center St. James Winery Olathe Ford Lincoln Mercuryprojectathena.orgmr340 shirtDents Unlimited2013 Stickers
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Marzan Wooden Outrigger Review (Read 20314 times)
03/07/09 at 21:09:27

Manitou Paddler   Offline
5X MR340 Veteran
2X MR340 Safety Boat Pilot
4X Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran
Gritty Fitty Record Holder

Finally got the boat done and on the water today....very pleased.

First off...this is not a stock marzan OC-1 build (http://www.marzanboats.com)

I did not use a coaming around the cockpit...and rather reduced the volume with a slanted section under the legs. and a venturi with a plug..I also did not use the stock  peaked decks....they involved another fiberglass and thickened epoxy seam...which would have added around 4-5 lbs...and I had some awsome mahogany.

I also made a carbon fiber understern rudder and rigged it so it could be removed and a rear carbon kick up rudder put on for shallow water...have done this on my surfski's...river paddling reality.

finally I shortened the iako's (outrigger arms) and rigged the deck attachment so I could trim the angle for a light ama and wanted a really beefy attachment.

The boat is light....main boat around 30 lbs and ama and arms cant be too much more...can lift up with one arm and toss on my shoulder for walk up ramp.

all and all...nice boat...and very pleasing to the eye!

Bryan

outrigger1.jpg (169 KB | )
outrigger1.jpg

river is as river does
IP Logged

Reply #1 - 03/07/09 at 21:10:38

5X MR340 Veteran
4X Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran

outrigger attachment

iako_attach.jpg (160 KB | )
iako_attach.jpg

river is as river does
IP Logged

Reply #2 - 03/07/09 at 21:11:31

5X MR340 Veteran
4X Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran

cockpit

river is as river does
IP Logged

Reply #3 - 03/07/09 at 21:12:24

5X MR340 Veteran
4X Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran

rudder

carbon_rudder.jpg (103 KB | )
carbon_rudder.jpg

river is as river does
IP Logged

Reply #4 - 03/07/09 at 21:13:28

5X MR340 Veteran
4X Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran

rear with kickup rudder option

river is as river does
IP Logged

Reply #5 - 03/07/09 at 21:14:46

5X MR340 Veteran
4X Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran

amma

ama_outrigger.jpg (138 KB | )
ama_outrigger.jpg

river is as river does
IP Logged

Reply #6 - 03/07/09 at 21:31:17

5X MR340 Veteran
4X Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran

so final conclusions.....boat is a rounded hull with tons of rocker....a perfect flat water boat would likely reduce this rocker some.....steering is responsive...freeboard with no coaming is just fine for typical river conditions and very comfortable position to paddle in......and most important...boat is fast.

Thumbs up.

If you like the outrigger ride (becoming one of my favorite ways to paddle) and like wood.....do it....anyone can build the boat...and the time you put in...is payed back in smiles while paddling and the coments you get at the ramp........... Smiley

river is as river does
IP Logged

Reply #7 - 03/08/09 at 04:03:08

Walt Birmingham   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
3X MR340 Safety Boat Pilot
Forum Moderator
Chamois, MO

Sweet ride Bryan! You did good.

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story. (Mark Twain)       http://greatrivertimes.blogspot.com
IP Logged

Reply #8 - 03/08/09 at 22:07:12

Los Humungos   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Sometimes wears a Wally
Werderich costume

Wow!  Nice work.  Your boat is beautiful.  It is even better to hear that she paddles so good.

Sometimes when you are man, you wear stretchy pants...its for fun... -Nacho   
You do not get guns like these from riding a bike. -Matt Strieb
IP Logged

Reply #9 - 03/09/09 at 09:28:57

Russ   Offline
Race Staff
6X MR340 Safety Boat Pilot
Kawlloween Veteran
Gardner, Kansas

Hopkins, you dog!!!  That boat is so cool--------------I'm adopting you right now, you can quit work.  You, Alma and the kids can move in with us.  Lets make boats!!!!!

Russ

IP Logged

Reply #10 - 03/09/09 at 10:56:34

5X MR340 Veteran
4X Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran

Russ:

I thought you would like that boat.......problem is that building a boat is actually alot of work (and I enjoy every minute of it Smiley)...I get tendonitus from sanding with each build and have to chill for a while.....but of course, I get obbessive and build non-stop, until she is done (shop lights and power tools late at night on weekends...wonder why my neighbors all avoid me???....just joking...it never fails that just when I cook a pot of epoxy...someone comes up to talk about the project...boats are like a magnet)......could not build them full time...I would physically fall apart!!!!

However, I really liked what happended with the toutured plywood... ...no chines and rounded hull..once you pull the boat into shape...it is very strong.........I have been thinking of taking the basic hull approach...and widen a bit for a sit in boat...kayak style... take all the rocker out and allow for a partial flare behind paddler and cant gunnels in at feet for close catch....try for more flatish hull in center section...kinda like a dsx or spencer extreme with not so much wing...actually...more knifeish like the Vanduesen Mohican...but with wood.....drop one layer of glass on front end and small bulkheads front and rear... it would be very light (20 pounds or so) and plenty strong for Missouri River conditions........I have the wood, I have the epoxy and cloth....just need to let the dust settle on my last boat...and oh, yeah.....actually get out and paddle versus shaving wood!!! Wink

Bryan

river is as river does
IP Logged

Reply #11 - 03/10/09 at 08:43:29

Russ   Offline
Race Staff
Kawlloween Veteran
Gardner, Kansas

I am a fan of Hopkins Boats--heck, I even own one!!!

Russ

IP Logged

Reply #12 - 03/10/09 at 15:42:12

Kirk Freels   Offline
4X MR340 Veteran
Race Volunteer
3X Gritty Veteran
Oak Grove

This is a question for you boat experts, (Bryan,etc...), I'm going to attempt to put a little polyester on the bottom of my Seda to fix a small wear spot that is down to the kevlar. Having never done this before should I tape off a strip with masking tape and then apply the goo, then pull off the tape before the resin hardens or is it neccessary to do the tape step? I do care alittle about the looks and don't want the finished results to look like a camel sneezed on my boat. Also is sanding needed after the resin cures?  Any thoughts on this hopefully minor repair is greatly appreciated.   Kirk

You've got what it takes, but it will take everything you got
IP Logged

Reply #13 - 03/10/09 at 16:23:33

5X MR340 Veteran
4X Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran

kirk...depends on the size of your wound....if only 2-3 inches then bellow is a trick that I have used....FYI sanding and matching are always fustrating to get good results.....again, if the wear spot is small...then....first, mask of the area with duck tape...then sand to give a rough surface for epoxy or gel coat...remove duck tape

Apply some marine epoxy..kind you get at ace hardware in srynge ( (or gel coat...I hate working with gel coat Lips Sealed)...would not recomend raw resin......apply less than you think (might want to try out on a soda bottle to get a feel for what I am gonna describe before actually doing the boat)...once you have a dab or two of the epoxy on the spot...then take a piece of clear packing tape and gently presse down on top....then slowly massage the glue around under the packing tape and smooth out with fingers,etc ...then let dry.

Next day...peel the packing tape slowly off...Walla!  you will have performed a redneck vacum bag job...the surface will be shiny smooth and no sanding required....if you need to trim a high spot...use a very sharp knife or razor blade on edge to scrap off the cured epoxy or gel coat......now if you must, you can use one of those auto paint touch up paint thingy's to try to match colors...me...I dont match colors anymore...the spot is just gonna wear again...and I call it a battle wound...proves you are not a poser kayaker.......that way you dont kill yourself trying make it like new....I have really stressed out trying for that before....not worth it!!

Bryan
« Last Edit: 03/10/09 at 21:04:31 by Manitou Paddler »  

river is as river does
IP Logged

Reply #14 - 03/11/09 at 17:24:44

Kirk Freels   Offline
4X MR340 Veteran
Race Volunteer
3X Gritty Veteran
Oak Grove

Thanks Bryan for the info, you make it sound easy enough that even a 'lectrician' could do it. I'll probably try it this weekend, and I'll send you a note on how it turns out.  Thanks again! Kirk

You've got what it takes, but it will take everything you got
IP Logged

Reply #15 - 03/11/09 at 17:52:49

Russ   Offline
Race Staff
Kawlloween Veteran
Gardner, Kansas

Okay Bryan, email me about this Marzan Outrigger.  russ@rivermiles.com
I have to talk to you about it.  I know, I know . . . . . . .

Russ

IP Logged

Reply #16 - 03/11/09 at 20:59:43

5X MR340 Veteran
4X Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran

I pm'd you with contact information....let me know your evil plan

river is as river does
IP Logged

Reply #17 - 03/11/09 at 23:02:32
Osprey   Ex Member

Any of you boat guru types ever install a foot board and tiller stearing on a kayak before?  I'd like to explore that for my QCC700.  It has pedal stearing which is a problem if you use a lot of leg drive ... I go tail wagging down the river.  I've considered heel blocks, too.  That'd be my plan B should a tiller steering system prove too onerous.

Anyone???

Dan

IP Logged

Reply #18 - 03/12/09 at 20:57:48

5X MR340 Veteran
4X Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran

Here are some pics of the hull of the outrigger .....as you can see it is really rounded....as rounded as as any carbon layup boat or rowing shell...and so is fast and performance orientated......I really bent the wood to get a boat with a 15 1/2 inch beam for this ride........so.....my thoughts are if I can bend for that...I can bend for a wider boat..and a sit in kayak......and work a little bit of flat spot like on the new generation surfski's...reduce the rocker big time.......wood is as good or better than the common foam construction used for carbon boats...and is actually stronger and a cinch to repair.

So I spent some time with cardboard paper toy boat prototypes...and just today cut the hull sections from 3mm plywood for a tws style racer...but built for the missouri river...i.e. does not have to take TWS abuse....hope for a light boat...with a little bit more freeboard.

My idea is for a sit in Kayak and not an outrigger...the boat pictured here is based hull-wise on a Marzan design outrigger...but it was my first bent plywood build and got me thinking of the possibilities...FYI you have to change a boat by 10% to have "new design" and avoid copy right infringements....I actually already did that with my Marzan-style boat (cockpit, deck and outrigger arm attachments were all a different approach than the Marazan design)....but what I am interested in is the application to K-1 boat.

If it goes well...I plan to make plans available with full size cut out templetes and picture by picture instructions on puting her together....because I really think anyone with even minor tool experience (can you saw wood straight and not cut your fingers off...ok...your in) can build one of these boats...and you can totally customize your boat to your quirky needes or personality...............................so stay tuned and wish me luck...if the boat is a good one.....then I anticipate a boat folks could make for less than $600 that would be smoking fast (I would sell plans for beer money Tongue).....................and oh yeah...I plan to have an adjustable beam...so you can adjust rocker (which will be mininal) and stability to your skills or conditions.

Sure hope this works out...now that I have put my mouth where my saw dust is. Smiley
« Last Edit: 03/13/09 at 13:40:20 by Manitou Paddler »  

hull_and_ama.jpg (355 KB | )
hull_and_ama.jpg

river is as river does
IP Logged

Reply #19 - 03/12/09 at 20:59:05

5X MR340 Veteran
4X Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran

shot of hull from rear....those things on the boat are venturi's...to drain the cockpit.

hull_rounded.jpg (187 KB | )
hull_rounded.jpg

river is as river does
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print