Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
rivermiles.com Missouri American WaterMissouri River Relief Alpine Shop Llama RacksPfefferkorn Engineering & Environmentalladsurfski.com paddlestop.comOlathe Ford Lincoln MercuryFarmer's InsuranceLewis and Clark Boathouse and Nature CenterSome Beach Outfittersprojectathena.org healthyriverspartnership.comMidwest Paddle AdventuresPaddle KC
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
race on Mississippi River (Read 2602 times)
04/03/07 at 10:09:32

Manitou Paddler   Offline
6X MR340 Veteran
3X MR340 Safety Boat Pilot

An outfitter I know on the Mississippi River has been working with the Corps of Engineers to develop a watertrail on the Mississippi River, basically from Hanibal down to St. Louis.  The section they have focused on first is the river section from Louisiana Missouri to Clarksville, Missouri (a section of river around 30 miles north of St. Louis area) ...they are having a big kick off event on May 19th and will have a kayak race on the river from Louisiana to Clarksville (aprox 10+ miles).  Details are coming on the event and I will post them here....I wanted to let folks know...I am pretty sure I will be there..and likely will do the race....this is a simply awsome stretch of river.

Here is a link to a recent newspaper article on the event.

http://www.louisianapressjournal.com/news/view_article.asp?idcategory=47&idartic...

Bryan

river is as river does
IP Logged

Reply #1 - 04/03/07 at 11:46:56

Jason S.   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
House Springs, MO

Sounds like fun.  I'm in. Grin

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 04/05/07 at 06:24:44

Etchemin   Offline
Future Participant

How about starting at Lake Itasca and going to mile 0?   Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 04/05/07 at 07:51:20

Jason S.   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
House Springs, MO

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 12/13/20 at 20:36:06

Hot Air Balloon   Offline
Future Participant

I'm still preparing for my first MR340; but as I did some research not actually being near enough to the Miss or the Missouri I looked at the current race route of Kaw Point to St Charles and thought......hmmm what if I kept going........

I have done already the Miss so i did do St Louis onward but I suddenly wondered, What about a All Missouri Race?

St Charles to say Cottonwood Ferry Landing. (about the last chance to "ramp out" for those who need it in Missouri) .......not counting the Official River miles (I just used a google rule and it was about 340.........

NOW I KNOW THATS NOT ACCURATE but to come up with that number just off hand...........

Kinda made me think some kinda un official ALL MISSOURI SHOW ME STATE race MR 640 or whatever it actually is I WOULD REALLY LOVE TO SEE AND BE IN.........

ANYONE thought about it?

Or would anyone besides me race it? In an Inflatable.

If you are interested in a bragging rights kind of "First time try" I could go for a Marathon River Rally kind of race in 2022 from St Charles to CottonWood Ferry

Call it a "Show Me" (Missouri) watcha got kinda challenge and maybe we could inspire a Some day Official sanctioned MR .........race Cool

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 12/31/20 at 14:47:08

Hooterville   Offline
MR340 Veteran

HotAir Balloon, you asked if anyone thought about it or if they would race it. So here's my feedback. If you want to race a 640 mile race, there are already some of those out there. Pick one of those, don't change this one. Working 2 jobs, scheduling a week off is already a balancing act and now you want to make it a 2 week race. No thanks. I would not be able to participate and I think lots of others would have to say the same thing. And getting a support crew is tough enough. Asking someone to commit even more time would be almost impossible. And I know and respect the tremendous amount of work it has taken to get the MR340 to be what it is today. Many people have made sacrifices of time and money and many have taken on a lot of responsibility unselfishly to make things happen. You've not even run the race yet but you're trying to either change it or create a competing race? My opinion is that doing this on the MRR forum is bad manners. Just my opinion.
« Last Edit: 12/31/20 at 18:20:11 by Hooterville »  
IP Logged

Reply #6 - 01/01/21 at 08:36:05

Future Participant

Thanks for the INPUT, I would say it's not bad manners it's dialogue or how else would people discuss and review? Since the race is changing Yeah I like to talk about things theoretical and find out why or why not as thats proactive not complacent. Nothing mentioned is deterring from respect for the race or those who have been a part of it. Many races change, develop and grow. Continued success of this race has led to some changes in 2021 and I am sure more will happen "some day" in the future. I REALIZE for some it is an event return racers and "family" of supporters love it and protect. Having said that none of it detracts or removes the "idea" of looking at an all Missouri leg or alternative fundraising based on the Original post that discussed an all Mississippi River race. So thanks for your imput, MAYBE some day there could be a RED BULL race from UPPER MISSOURI RIVER source like three rivers TO sea thru the MR340 race area and have it AS the Longest River Race in the World longer than the Yulon 1000  Grin Grin Cheesy Smiley Roll Eyes Tongue

IP Logged

Reply #7 - 01/01/21 at 15:22:10

Hooterville   Offline
MR340 Veteran

There's some pretty great sponsors listed at the top of this very page. Some of whom have been with this race from almost the very beginning. Nice of you to suggest a foreign company as the primary sponsor though.

IP Logged

Reply #8 - 01/01/21 at 20:17:26

Future Participant

I would suggest any sponsor as I don't close the doors on people who are sincere and want to continue the legacy you have created and the 15 years that have been golden and remarkable. I DO SEE the changes  coming as we all get older and a younger crowd participates and tries to live up to living legends like you and the sponsors above. No Business owner I know asks where a customer lives, but if that is an issue than you certainly have EARNED the right to say so and to feel so. I've traveled so I get the drift and the float and whether YOU understand me on posting or simple misread me, you're entitled. I personally respect your accomplishments and using Red Bull might not be the "example" like John Deere might have been, but it was meant to highlight a "venue" that is currently promoting sports events. People are people and locale is local as one poet I know said, so you support what you can and enjoy what you got and if you can do more or help Well I DO, so if idea's are offensive I GOT A MILLION OF THEM LOL and 2022 if I can make it back or come farther down river, I'll retrace this years 1st attempt at doing it in time and pass on next year to the Landing and visit along the way some of the stops and see if some of the people I met are still on the River.   Heck maybe I can get my wife to meet me for the 17th MR340 and she can pull a ground crew........(grin) it's a great race and the rivers awesome

IP Logged

Reply #9 - 01/15/21 at 13:06:54

Jeff Angus   Offline
Future Participant

Sounds fun. Would do a race on the Mississippi. Any link to the 10+ mile plans?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print