Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
rivermiles.com Missouri American WaterMissouri River Relief Alpine Shop St. James WineryPfefferkorn Engineering & Environmentalladsurfski.com Olathe Ford Lincoln Mercuryprojectathena.orgFarmer's Insurancehealthyriverspartnership.comLewis and Clark Boathouse and Nature Center2013 Stickers
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Smoky Hill River (Read 15582 times)
Reply #20 - 03/16/07 at 13:23:35

Christina   Offline
5X MR340 Veteran
2X MR340 Record Holder
Kawnivore Veteran
Kawnivore Record Holder
3X Gritty Veteran
Kawlloween Veteran

No biggie, Steve...you're not hijacking anything.  And we all think Scott has a perty mouth, and I'm sure he knows.   Cheesy

I'm going to do some serious Google Earthing this weekend and start checking the Smoky Hill out.  As far as I can tell the odds of putting in too much west of the Cedar Bluffs Reservoir seems slim.   Sad 

If any of you know of any official camp spots on the Smoky Hill, I'd be glad to know about them.  I know of an area in Lindsborg right off the river, but that's about it.  I really don't want to tread all over the place pissing anyone off out there.  If all else fails, maybe I can suspend myself with ropes from a tree that overhangs the water.

IP Logged

Reply #21 - 05/02/07 at 20:16:44

Christina   Offline
5X MR340 Veteran
2X MR340 Record Holder
Kawnivore Veteran
Kawnivore Record Holder
3X Gritty Veteran
Kawlloween Veteran

I thought I'd post an update about my big Smoky Hill River dreams.  A while ago I got a couple articles sent to me in the mail from The Hutchinson News.  The idea of paddling out west looks bleak.
One of these articles is about the Arkansas River and how it has pretty much stayed dry since the 70s. 
The second article is all about record low flows of a variety of rivers and creeks including the Smoky Hill.  This one is most depressing as it states the US Geological Survey's 2006 report shows 20 state rivers had record low flows.  The Smoky Hill was at about 10% of normal flow.  And it doesn't look like the predictions for the coming year are good, either. 
Sad

IP Logged

Reply #22 - 05/14/09 at 18:55:06

Aquafan   Offline
2X Gritty Fitty Veteran

Couldn't remember when this came up, but I decided to pull up this old topic and review the question and answers when I decided to formulate my paddling plans for an upcoming journey.  Instead of going down to the Buffalo River in late May, like I have done the last two years, I am going to use some of the "8 Wonders of Kansas" and incorporate them into  "8 Wonderful Days of Paddling and Eating" in Kansas.

My sojourn will include a visit to Fall River State Park (it's supposed to be the best State Park for paddling), Scott Lake State Park (voted one of the 50 Best State Parks by National Geographic Traveller Magazine and is spring fed and a very interesting historical site), and, certainly not last for further plans are developing, a paddle on the Smoky Hill River and Cedar Bluff Reservoir. 

Some of the 8 Wonders of Kansas Cuisine are situated within reasonable proximity to my path.  Eat well, paddle, paddle, eat well....my purpose is clear, my training is about to begin.

Like many times before, the stars will shine above on the prairie below, and though my time will be brief with paddle in hand, I shall gaze up into the Milky Way and think of those who came before quietly wondering "why not me?".

IP Logged

Reply #23 - 05/15/09 at 09:12:40

Ladsurfski   Offline
4X MR340 Veteran
5X Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawlloween Record Holder
Kawnivore Veteran
4X Kawlloween Veteran

That sounds like an awesome adventure...you have me thinking about additional (local) Summer plans...can't go wrong with good paddling and good food!!! Please post more specifics of your paddling route and eating establishments..plus some pics of your adventure when you're done! Thanks!

Yes, even in Kansas there are a lot of wonderful gems that are worth the drive to explore. A nice little city I like is Cottonwood Falls.

Take care and enjoy!

Ron

IP Logged

Reply #24 - 05/15/09 at 17:24:10

Aquafan   Offline
2X Gritty Fitty Veteran

Ron,

Should my tale be worthy of telling it will be told.

That said, a few good pictures might come in handy.

Mike

IP Logged

Reply #25 - 10/24/10 at 16:19:50

Paddle-Up   Offline
Future Participant
Dedicated to those who,
"Serve & Protect."!
Riverside, MO

My nephew (from Colorado) and I are just getting into canoeing.  Because he lives in Colorado and I in Kansas City we thought about looking for a place between.  This discussion sounds great.  I am interested in the outcome of these discussions and of course any suggestions for us beginners.  Thanks

Terry:  "In war, there are no unwounded soldiers." -Jose Narosky.  Wink
IP Logged

Reply #26 - 11/20/13 at 01:03:38

canot du nord   Offline
Future Participant

Hi Christina,
   Sorry to be about six years late replying to your question. I've canoed and kayaked some of the Smoky Hill. From within sight of the Kanopolis water tower to near Solomon, Kansas. 150 river miles. Thanks for asking if anyone's been on it....that's how I first heard about the rivermiles forum!
                                                 - - - - canot du nord
« Last Edit: 11/10/17 at 22:13:23 by canot du nord »  

Great National Canoe Race Veteran 1979
USCA Nationals Veteran 1983
3 X Platte River Race Vet 81-83
KSKU Anything That Floats Without A Motor Race Veteran 1983
"168 Club" Canoed all 168 miles of Kaw R.
IP Logged

Reply #27 - 09/01/16 at 15:53:34

canot du nord   Offline
Future Participant

I just checked the USGS river levels and the Smoky Hill is crazy high right now (about 8/20/16) -- must have rained. I ran Lindsborg to Salina once when it was 1,500 and THAT was high and fast. 48 river miles. Now it's 831 in Lindsborg/1,850 at Mentor/3,750 at Enterprise. I've heard there's a low head dam around Abilene that has to be portaged and is dangerous.
« Last Edit: 09/06/16 at 22:50:27 by canot du nord »  

Great National Canoe Race Veteran 1979
USCA Nationals Veteran 1983
3 X Platte River Race Vet 81-83
KSKU Anything That Floats Without A Motor Race Veteran 1983
"168 Club" Canoed all 168 miles of Kaw R.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print